What to do when Drive UniqueID is not unique?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BestGear

Aug 25, 2014
Guys

Weird one... looking to add two SSDs to a storage space as tier, and can't as only one SSD can be seen in primordial.

Turns out the UniqueID is identical for both SSDs, thus it sees one only (one with lower serial number).

I have moved the SSDs to another controller and the UniqueIDs are still the same (all zeros) - as I was under the impression it was set in conjunction with the controller somehow.

All other drives have discreet IDs... even, when swapped, on the same ports as these damn SSDs.

I cannot see any way to influence the UniqueID that is "generated" - and guess the next step is to replace the SSDs with another make.

I have read that you can use Diskpart to change the UniqueID - but that sounds unlikely..... unless I am wrong? (I had assumed it is made up from some combination of serial number or manufacturing number and the raid controller device ID or something....).

Thoughts?

David

Last edited:

Net-Runner

Feb 25, 2016
Have you tried running diskpart and using the clean command to wipe the GPT/MBR records completely and then re-initialize the drive? That may lead to the generation of a new UniqueID.