What router for 300 Gbps of traffic with support for multiple BGP full route tables?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

salvadorb

Jul 14, 2021
Hi guys,
I hope you're doing great. I have some experience with Arista switches and Mikrotik CCR1072 boxes and now I would like to replace one of our Mikrotik CCR1072, currently being used as our Internet router reaching over 50 Gbps of traffic. I hate how complicated/unstable is the BGP implementation in RouterOS, I heard Juniper is very stable but I don't have experience with Arista and very large BGP tables.

And I have been considering a used Arista 7280QR or a Juniper MX204. What model would you choose?

My basic requirements are:
- Being able to handle at least 4 upstream with a full BGP table for IPv4 and IPv6
- Some (more than 2) QSFP28 interfaces
- Have enough power to support in the future 300+ Gbps of internet traffic
- Apply bandwidth limitation per interface/vlan

Thank you for your advice.

Best regards,

Salvador

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
Honestly I don't know a whole lot about BGP routers, and I have not seen much discussion here about this, but I hope someone can help you more than me :)

With that said, I thought you might want to consider a few software options, I have absolutely no idea if they are able to do 300Gbps, but they may be worth considering anyhow.

So without further ado:
  1. Netgate TNSR
  2. DANOS (a router project by AT&T)
  3. BSD Router Project
Aside from hopefully being useful, they may also have communities of people who know some of this stuff, so in case you can not find any help here, perhaps you can there? :)

alsenior

Member Member
Apr 19, 2016
The Arista might be able to manage with 4 full tables. The Juniper will defiantly manage 4 full tables.

azev

Jan 18, 2013
I'd recommend the Cisco ASR9902 lines. It can handle up to 800Gb of throughput, dual sup, and variety of ports type and speed.

chicken-of-the-cave

Mar 13, 2020
300gbps? Thats some serious bandwidth.
Any well-known networking vendor will assist with this. I am aware that the Juniper MX204 is a popular choice for edge use-cases (i.e.: BGP routers).

chicken-of-the-cave

Mar 13, 2020
Honestly I don't know a whole lot about BGP routers, and I have not seen much discussion here about this, but I hope someone can help you more than me :)

With that said, I thought you might want to consider a few software options, I have absolutely no idea if they are able to do 300Gbps, but they may be worth considering anyhow.

So without further ado:
  1. Netgate TNSR
  2. DANOS (a router project by AT&T)
  3. BSD Router Project
Aside from hopefully being useful, they may also have communities of people who know some of this stuff, so in case you can not find any help here, perhaps you can there? :)
DANOS would likely be choices that could do 300gbps, but too new / immature today. TNSR probably be okay, but there isn't much NICs that support 400gbps working on FreeBSD as per my understanding. There is support for TNSR so that is a plus especially for this throughput.
BSDRP is all CPU processing. For 300gbps routing, I would advise against this.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
MX204 - It's a steal for what you can get it for after working with a vendor (think sub-15k USD), mature OS, super flexible, it's nearly every engineer's favorite that I work with at the moment for a sub ~20K full table box

Reactions: Stephan

Jaket

Jan 4, 2017
Seattle, New York
purevoltage.com
How much space and power do you have kicking around?

We went the route of a pair of MX960's which sounds like overkill for you at the moment.
If space and power is a concern the MX204 is a solid unit and depending on power costs and space could pay the difference from building a used MX960 or larger.

What type of pipes do you have currently to push that 50Gbps? Is this using a few 10G ports?
The only downside of the 204 is the 400G limit which is really more like 200G as you will need to offload that extra 200g onto other switches most likely.

If you want something that can scale up a bit more a MX240 or 480 would be a great option as well.