What RAM to SuperMicro X10SAT?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
I need to order some RAM sticks to X10SAT, and I dont know which RAM works. Can anyone link to a few RAM sticks on Newegg.com - Computer Parts, Laptops, Electronics, and More! that should work? I need 32GB RAM. Is it the same RAM as to X10SAE?

I have asked other forums, but no one knows, and I email supermicro, but I havent got any answer at all. Maybe someone here knows?
Its C226 PCH and Haswell IMC, why would it be any different? Everything else on the board is irrelevant.

Unbuffered ECC, preferably 1600 and 1.5V or lower. I tend to buy kingston KVR16E11/8i myself, probably have a ~quarter terabyte of the stuff across a bunch of ddr3 systems now.

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
Ugh, it really has gone up almost $30 a stick since news of the factory fire broke, my last order was $79/ea prime shipped 9/3

Superbiiz 88/ea but out of stock, will likely be more when back

Newegg 104/ea shipped

Damn I think I need a pair in the next week or two also :(

brutalizer

Jun 16, 2013
I planned to buy this RAM stick, but it is out of stock at newegg. I need to buy from newegg, for different reasons. Do you know of any other RAM that would work with X10SAT, at newegg?

Thanks guys for your help. This is the first site that had anything substantial to say! :)

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Any particular reason a lot of you are using KVR16E11/8 instead of KVR16LE11/8? The latter is the 1.35v model.
Great question. The big reason I am using mostly the 1.5v model is simply because I use a lot and I need it to work in multiple platforms. I am planning to do a 1.35v v. 1.5v piece for the SODIMMs in the next two weeks. Just finishing up the data on the Avoton platforms.

vegaman

Sep 12, 2013
Auckland, New Zealand
Great question. The big reason I am using mostly the 1.5v model is simply because I use a lot and I need it to work in multiple platforms. I am planning to do a 1.35v v. 1.5v piece for the SODIMMs in the next two weeks. Just finishing up the data on the Avoton platforms.
I was under the impression that the 1.35v model could also run at 1.5v. I'm not 100% on that and obviously I haven't tested it though.

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
I planned to buy this RAM stick, but it is out of stock at newegg. I need to buy from newegg, for different reasons. Do you know of any other RAM that would work with X10SAT, at newegg?

Thanks guys for your help. This is the first site that had anything substantial to say! :)
Ouch, their selection sucks right now...

I don't see any reason that the amd or crucial 8GB modules won't work, I'd go with the latter based on price. (looks like standard specs)

I was under the impression that the 1.35v model could also run at 1.5v. I'm not 100% on that and obviously I haven't tested it though.
Yes, tons of free testing being done by the overclocking nerds out there. Going lower is hard, going up is easy.

The intel IMC since sandy bridge is technically out of spec past ~1.58V but high speeds tend to require more voltage, and the newer ICs with lower base voltage tend to overclock better as well. Some of the previously cheap "green 30nm" samsung stuff from the last few years is pretty amazing how well it clocks.

Any particular reason a lot of you are using KVR16E11/8 instead of KVR16LE11/8? The latter is the 1.35v model.
Availability, price, some were ordered awhile ago, to name three.

Last edited:

brutalizer

Jun 16, 2013
Great! At last I have got help! Not even SuperMicro support helped me. :)

Can anyone confirm that the Crucial 8GB module will work in X10SAE or X10SAT? Or in any other X10... Supermicro motherboard? What RAM are you using in X10... supermicro motherboards?

The thing is, I am ordering Newegg parts from overseas, so it will be a pain if the parts dont work in X10SAT, that is the reason I am asking. Experimenting is very costly for me.

drpsg

May 4, 2012
Great! At last I have got help! Not even SuperMicro support helped me. :)

Can anyone confirm that the Crucial 8GB module will work in X10SAE or X10SAT? Or in any other X10... Supermicro motherboard? What RAM are you using in X10... supermicro motherboards?

The thing is, I am ordering Newegg parts from overseas, so it will be a pain if the parts dont work in X10SAT, that is the reason I am asking. Experimenting is very costly for me.
I can confirm that my X10Slm+-f board works with crucial CT2KIT102472BD160B. These are also available as single dim. These are low power. The supermicro memory configurator says that these will work as 1.5 volt, but ESXI reports the voltage as 1.32 volt.

Last edited:

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
I have this Crucial kit: CT2CP102472BD160B in my X10SAT. It's 4x 8gb DDR3 1600 unbuffered ECC at 1.35 V, but I haven't checked what voltage it's actually running at.

zoob

Sep 8, 2013
I am not sure if this has been posted already, but here it is.
Kingston has a decent web tool to find "compatible" modules:
link