What NVMe works on Supermicro X10SDV boards?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

P.E.T.A.R.

Sep 18, 2020
Hey guys, first timer here but have been lurking for a while.

I'm hoping someone here might be able to shed some light on NVMe drive compatibilty with the m.2 slot.

My board (X10SDV-4C-TLN2F) fails to detect both my 970 EVO and a Transcend 220S drive.
In BIOS I put the m.2 oprom in EFI mode, disabled CSM as well.
Booting up a windows 10 or ubuntu from USB in EFI mode, the OS doesn't see the nvme either.
I was getting desparate so I've even injected NVMe drivers in the (latest) BIOS itself but even that didn't help.

Are these boards really picky?
Or am I just unlucky?

If you have one of these Xeon-D boards can you please let me know which drive works for you in the m.2 slot?

Thanks!!

Last edited:

Netwerkz101

Dec 27, 2015
Tested by SM:
M.2 List - [MBD-X10SDV-4C-TLN2F]

It is interesting that the drives don't show up at all.

I am used to seeing people not being able to boot off them sometimes,
but modern mobo/bios + modern OS = I'd expect to see it detected even if not bootable.

Do you have a PCIe to M.2 adapter you could test with to rule out the M.2 slot itself?
Do you have anything plugged into the x16 PCIe slot?
Do you have anything plugged into SATA0 (SATA DOM) port ?

P.E.T.A.R.

Sep 18, 2020
I am used to seeing people not being able to boot off them sometimes,
but modern mobo/bios + modern OS = I'd expect to see it detected even if not bootable.
Hey, thanks for replying. Indeed same here, I tried also unraid and it also didn't detect it.
It's really a pain, but I will go out and get an m.2 to pcie adapter it's not like I'm using the pcie slot now anyway.

Reading some similar experiences here even with newer SM boards:

Seems these boards are just picky.
I was hoping the BIOS mod would help, but nope.

P.E.T.A.R.

Sep 18, 2020
Tested out an M.2 to PCIe adapter and the NVMe is now recognized normally, I can finally use it!
Just a bummer I had to use the main PCIe x16 slot like that.

So it's either the m.2 slot itself which is dead, or there is something else preventing this from working which I was not able to determine.

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
I just popped an Intel P4511 2TB in an X10SDV-7TP4F, latest BIOS, latest IPMI. The drive isn't detected.
I realize this SSD isn't officially on the HCL, but I figured it was close enough to the Intel drives listed.

Does anyone else have a similar drive in an X10SDV board? Or did I get a bad disk?

Mechkilla

Jan 21, 2018
Hi,

I have the X10SDV-4C-TLN4F-O board and popped in a Patriot P300 128GB NVMe drive ( P300P128GM28) about 2 weeks ago. It was recognized right away and I installed TrueNAS 12 Core in UEFI mode on it. TrueNAS is booting and running without any problems. If this board is really that picky ... I was quite lucky.
BIOS is 2.1 and IPMI firmware is 3.88.

Reactions: colxfy

thedman07

Sep 14, 2020
Hey guys, first timer here but have been lurking for a while.

I'm hoping someone here might be able to shed some light on NVMe drive compatibilty with the m.2 slot.

My board (X10SDV-4C-TLN2F) fails to detect both my 970 EVO and a Transcend 220S drive.
In BIOS I put the m.2 oprom in EFI mode, disabled CSM as well.
Booting up a windows 10 or ubuntu from USB in EFI mode, the OS doesn't see the nvme either.
I was getting desparate so I've even injected NVMe drivers in the (latest) BIOS itself but even that didn't help.

Are these boards really picky?
Or am I just unlucky?

If you have one of these Xeon-D boards can you please let me know which drive works for you in the m.2 slot?

Thanks!!
M.2 SSDs and X10SDV motherboard

Are you booting in UEFI mode or legacy mode?