What length of cables for patch panels and switches?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
Searched quite a while for this, but failed...

What are the ideal lengths for Cat6/Cat6a and OM3 10G fiber for 1U to 1U spacing (no blank panels)? 6in (0.5ft)?

At what angle does this max out? Or, should I get a mixture of 0.5ft and 1ft cables?

Can't seem to find an answer to this. I'm about to order around 100+ cables for both my rack and for a school's network cabinet I am building up, and want to have stock in the bag.

Please don't flog me for not having additional blank spacing between the panel and switch, "for better utility access - you'll regret it!" I just don't have the room in my 1/2 rack to accommodate it across 2, or possibly 3 switches and panels (I'm hosting a friend's setup as well). I will put flexible bends in all cables behind the patch panel, to allow me to remove the panel at long lengths to access anything from behind.

I'm basically after a setup like this for RJ45:

1619136444422.png

As for fiber, I'd like to do the exact same using keystone pass-through modules. However, I am unable to find a single picture of such tight bends of, say, 0.5ft OM3/4 cables. This is telling me that it may not be a good idea to bend fiber cables that extreme, and to take them to the side. But I prefer the aesthetics of fiber-to-panel routing, as the DIY rack really doesn't have a place to route the cables from the side to the back.

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
Found this site with some general bend radius info.

Code:
Category 5, 5e, and 6 cables: eight times the cable diameter
Fiber patch cord: ten to fifteen times the cable diameter
DAC
  24AWG: 1.5 inches (38 mm)
  26AWG: 1.3 inches (33 mm)
  28AWG: 1.0 inch (25 mm)
  30AWG: 0.9 inch (23 mm)

Reactions: legopc