What is your favourite simple, unmanaged switch?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ullbeking

Jul 28, 2017
London
As per the title, what is a recommendation for a really nice, good quality, unmanaged switch? I'm interested in comparing small, 4-port switches, half-1U switches, and short-depth full-with 1U switches. Thank you!!

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
Whatever is cheap. I usually look at TP-Link and Netgear for both unmanaged and web/smart managed.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I personally love the Netgear Prosafe line. Good quality switches and for just a little more you can jump up to the Prosafe Plus line which gives you Vlan tagging.

Reactions: Evan

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
For < 12 ports and just 1G, whatever is cheap. The wall-wart power supply will probably fail on whatever you get after 5-7 years regardless so there isn't a huge driver to choose one over the other. Having rubber feet that doesn't degrade after a few years of being warm or a physical design that isn't stupid (all rounded or angled so it can't be in a stack of stuff or have it on the edge) tends to win out for me.
The general quality of switches with less than 8 ports seems to be very low as they have to compete as throw-away mass produced electronics available @ wal-mart these days, and I set my expectations accordingly low for needing to replace it in a year or 2.

I have had about the same decent experience with Netgear, D-Link and TP-Link small unmanaged switches. The next step up usually includes an internal power supply and is more expensive. For small managed switches or > 8+ ports, I would step up to the better Netgear units (although I find the management interface gawd-awful, it works fine and you forget about it once set up). Smaller HP managed switches are great if you can find them used or on sale.

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
as above, for a 4 port switch it really doesn't matter. they'll basically all use the same cheap asic, and offer the same performace. pick the shape you like best.

fractal

Jun 7, 2016
Netgear blue boxes or HP 1400. I have had too many of the other brands listed here fail. Never had a 1400 or blue box fail.

hjfr

Nov 21, 2013
France
For basic unmanaged switchs (but metallic design and not plastic), like others:
5 ports:
- Netgear GS105 / GS305
- TP-Link TL-SG105
- D-Link DGS105

8 ports:
- Netgear GS108 / GS308
- TP-Link TL-SG108
- D-Link DGS108

Identical features. External power supply. Good price. Little difference about power consumption (check datasheet if it's important) at idle or full activity (less than 5W in worst case for 8 ports).

Reactions: BennyT

Moff Tigriss

Sep 24, 2016
The Netgear ProSafe line is really good. I use them in events, everywhere a small switch is needed. It's reliable, solid, and cheap. And I buy the ProSafe Plus when there is sales on them.

Geekness07

Dec 11, 2017
Compared to unmanaged switch, managed switches are more common in my work, if you need advice about managed ones, maybe I could offer some advice~~

However, unmanaged switch is more simple and not expensive, just get brand one, it's won't let you down. :D