What is this SSD?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

altano

Sep 3, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Anyone have any experience with these "Toshiba/HP" SSDs?

I bought this off eBay, labeled as "HP / Toshiba XG5-P 2TB":

Is it a Toshiba SSD or an HPE SSD? What's with the two serial #s?

I tried to check the warranty but Toshiba won't accept the left serial number and HPE won't accept the right serial number. Both HPE and Toshiba have hilariously broken websites (expired SSL certs, Java errors, etc), but even the pages I can find won't accept these serial numbers.

In short, does anyone know how I can check the warranty status of this SSD? Or even just what this SSD is?

StevenDTX

Aug 17, 2016
99% sure the SN on the LEFT is the HP serial number. That being said, it is likely only warranted with the system it came installed in.

SRussell

Oct 7, 2019
US
Crystal Disk Info should give you all of the drive stats to verify authenticity .

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
Basically as everyone said the drive is "legit" it's the ssd it should be however it's also "grey market" it was pulled from a system someone ordered(likely an hp laptop since it's m.2) and then sold probably replaced with a faster drive(maybe a 2tb samsung?) I can't actually picture pulling a 2tb nvme drive from an OEM system I usually order them small and replace with bigger to save money myself.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I don’t know why but I also see from time to time some larger size pulls from notebooks etc. I suspect maybe broken systems or early lease returns where the equipment is supposed to be scrapped maybe.

Necrotyr

Jun 25, 2017
Denmark
HPE puts two of these in servers in a 2x M.2 PCIe riser card, mostly for OS or Cache, considering the HPE label I'd say it's from there instead of an laptop.

bogi

Apr 4, 2020
I want to add to this post, situation that I have with these NVME drives

Product: Toshiba XG5-P 2TB
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
I have four NVME m.2 drives Toshiba XG5-P 2TB KXG50PNV2T04

Current Firmware: AFHA4101

HP P/N: 934103-001

PSID: 7X1GYS2T JCW3VV20 UPWSSGQ7 TSWJ9ZY5

S/N [edit]

When drives are in the system they work fine, it looks like that. Speeds are good as advertise but problem and instability comes after reboot or shutdown.

2TB XG5-P is not recognizable by the Windows 10 OS any more. I found workaround for this by going to device manager > show hidden devices > nvme m.2 drives & controllers are there.

Than each one of them gets uninstalled from the list of devices; after that goes system reboot and they show up again in the device manager accessible and visible in Disk Management.

Drives were also tested in Freenas 11.1 U7, they show up but after reboot or shutdown they go away. Need several reboots and they will show up again.

My assumption is that the firmware AFHA4101 is old and not ideal, noticed on DELL support page newer FW > Version AFDA4105, A00 18 Feb 2020

Windows drivers are not available ether on HP or Toshiba support.
There are only XG5 driver for Win7 and Server 2008 on HP support page.

Did anyone experienced same issues with these drives, any location for new firmware on HP support? The only one I can find is update for XG5 older one and for smaller drives in size.

altano

Sep 3, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
FWIW not only is my drive working perfectly but it also fixed all the instability of my M11SDV system which wasn’t happy with the first two SSDs I put in there (neither of which were on the compatibility list, while this one was).

Reactions: bogi

bogi

Apr 4, 2020
FWIW not only is my drive working perfectly but it also fixed all the instability of my M11SDV system which wasn’t happy with the first two SSDs I put in there (neither of which were on the compatibility list, while this one was).
Did you find anything about these M2 NVME drives on HP support pages? Can't find anything except for XG5 model of 512GB.