What is the difference between 10GB SFP+ and 8GB SFP?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sthsep

Mar 7, 2016
Hello,

I snapped a bunch of cisco transceivers and in the package were also some 8GB SFP. I know that the SFP+ modules are used in ethernet and the 8G SFPs are used in FC/SAN-Networks. Since I just wanted the other transceivers I have left the 8GB ones for three days just in box.

Since they looked so similar I was thinking to test them in my Gnodal switch but I was pretty sure that they will not work (Because they are different and also they are using a different encoding). So I changed one finsar transceiver with on 8GB SFP and the link was going up?!?! Tested them with iperf and everything was nearly the same like the SFP+ transceiver before (I think they were a bit slower something like 9.6 vs 9.9 Gbit). Then I also changed the transceiver on the network adapter so it was then 8GB - 8GB and the switch turned the light to red so I think this way was not working.

Because I got the combination 8G SFP (Switch) --> 10G SFP+ (Network Adapter) working I was thinking what the real differences between this adapters are or also why I can use 8G SFPs in combination with 10G SFP+ without any problems? There are bunch of 8G SFP for arround 1 dollar per piece and they are really cheap compared to the 10G ones.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
The sfp+ standard v4.1 (aka SFF-8431) supports up to 32 gbit/s for fibre channel and up to 10gbit for ethernet using the same connectors.
http://www.fluxlight.com/content/Tech-Docs/SFPPlus MSA.PDF , page 135

Then I also changed the transceiver on the network adapter so it was then 8GB - 8GB and the switch turned the light to red so I think this way was not working.
My guess is you didn't use a mellanox adapter which supports a lot more third party transceivers than intel or others.

Because I got the combination 8G SFP (Switch) --> 10G SFP+ (Network Adapter) working I was thinking what the real differences between this adapters are or also why I can use 8G SFPs in combination with 10G SFP+ without any problems?
There shouldn't be any difference as both use sfp+/sff 8431 at their physical layer. The problem is that some adapters check the rom on transceivers for certain strings. If the adapters don't find such a string in the rom, they will refuse to work with that transceiver and you will get no link.

sthsep

Mar 7, 2016
So basically they are the same as long as the devices accept the transceiver right? Anyways I ordered already about 50 8G ones ;) And yes I wasn't using Mellanox adapters I was using some special card from Intel which should be like the Intel X-520

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
10G ethernet & 8G FC essentially the same thing from a technical point of view, all depends on compatibility. I have not tried any 10G ones but years ago 1G SFP I had used interchangeable ones.
Some adapter cards are actually dual configurable... FC, Ethernet, FCoE.

Let us know how you get on.

Reactions: Jerry Renwick

Jerry Renwick

Aug 7, 2014
Although there is little difference between 8G SFP anf 10G SFP+, it is still not recommended to use the adapters for this connection. Have tried the Mellanox QSFP top SFP+ adapter in my network, not happy with the high insertion loss.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Although there is little difference between 8G SFP anf 10G SFP+, it is still not recommended to use the adapters for this connection. Have tried the Mellanox QSFP top SFP+ adapter in my network, not happy with the high insertion loss.
I dunno what this is abt but my MLX QSFP to SFP+ adapters push line rate 10G ethernet speeds and I do not see anything wonky on my physical 10G switch or errors/retransmits/packet loss, etc. Do tell?