What is the current OS of choice for Napp-it All-in-One?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
Yes, you still can create VM version 8, so just be sure not to upgrade/create new VMs with version 10, and it should still be just as functional.

StephD

Dec 17, 2013
Upgrading to ESXI 5.5 has put me in an impossible situation. I upgraded my virtual hardware on a VM and now the windows vSphere Client can't manage the VM. I don't understand what VMWare is doing? Near as I can figure, the only way to manage a VM Hardware Version 10 VM is via the (not free) vSphere Web Client

Arnt they just effectively killing off an entire generation of free home VM users
I use vSphere at work, and initially planned to use it at home too like most people here have been doing for years but this seems very unlikely now.

This is a bad move from VMware IMHO since people like me will soon grow skills with alternative solutions which will sooner or later translate in market share loss.

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
Here is an interesting trick you can do with pfsense. For me, having the internet go down is worse than anything else. I have two ESXi servers, and the pfsense gateway is on one of them with a vmdk on the shared datastore. When I installed pfsense 2.1, I picked the option to allow an install to a mirrored disk, once of which is the previously mentioned vmdk. The other is a same-size vmdk on the shared datastore of the other ESXi server. Unless you are running squid or something, pfsense will not do much disk I/O, so the performance hit is not significant. This allows me to reboot if needed the storage appliance on the main ESXi server. If you happen to have HA/FT available, you can even FT protect the pfsense appliance and eliminate any single point of failure for internet access.