What is the Best RAID 5 Capable Controller for a C6100

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

humanjoe

May 7, 2013
Heya Everyone,

I want to turn the 3 hard drives per node in my 12 drive C6100 into a RAID 5. What RAID controllers are available that can do this for me? I've done several searches of the forums and I'm still a little confused about what boards can do what. I think I'd prefer a mezz card but I'll look at anything right now.

Thanks!

Adam

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
There aren't any mezzanine RAID cards - the Dell SAS cards are HBAs that I'm sure can be made to do mirroring of two drives and probably RAID1E with three drives but not parity RAID. If you ask Dell for hardware RAID, they will sell you an LSI card - one of several different models - but that seems less than optimal for just three drives. Have you thought about RAID1E instead?

Heya Everyone,

I want to turn the 3 hard drives per node in my 12 drive C6100 into a RAID 5. What RAID controllers are available that can do this for me? I've done several searches of the forums and I'm still a little confused about what boards can do what. I think I'd prefer a mezz card but I'll look at anything right now.

Thanks!

Adam

humanjoe

May 7, 2013
Raid 1E could work but I would hate to loose all that space, guess it's not that big of a deal. Do you know of some Mezz or PCI cards that can do RAID 1E?

lazycat

Aug 15, 2013
I use two HighPoint RocketRaid 2300 for same task with C1600, because they were already. It's very small and works stably, but quite slow relatively more faster controllers like the Adaptec 5805.