What is mobile these days?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Biren78

Jan 16, 2013
I had a customer tell me "mobile ads are the next big thing. all we need has to fit on a 640x480 screen now" this seems wrong.

Like here's my thought. I have a laptop and work from a train on the commute. That's mobile. I'm commuting. Since my laptop is a MBP I also have a better non-touch screen than most people do on mobile devices. Oh and the kicker - everyone else on the train is working too.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Galaxy S-IV has a 1080p super amoled screen. Not sure that "640x480" is the end-all of mobile.

That comment sounds like some I heard years ago: 64KB of RAM is all I will ever need...comments like that are almost always short-sighted and ultimately wrong.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Galaxy S-IV has a 1080p super amoled screen. Not sure that "640x480" is the end-all of mobile.

That comment sounds like some I heard years ago: 64KB of RAM is all I will ever need...comments like that are almost always short-sighted and ultimately wrong.
Or stated another way: Display resolutions in a form factor don't typically go down over time.

shahneel355

Banned
Jul 2, 2013
Today Mobile is the most useful and important thing in human life. today all work can be done through mobile and advertisement on mobile is the next big thing.

LeoS

Jun 19, 2013
I had a customer tell me "mobile ads are the next big thing. all we need has to fit on a 640x480 screen now" this seems wrong.

Like here's my thought. I have a laptop and work from a train on the commute. That's mobile. I'm commuting. Since my laptop is a MBP I also have a better non-touch screen than most people do on mobile devices. Oh and the kicker - everyone else on the train is working too.
To a certain extent, I agree with his concept. Not the explicit numbers.

It's not the resolution that is important, but the target device's form factor and physical screen size. It affects how the ad/content is designed.

Being able to use an MBP on your commutes is awesome, but that's hardly the norm. Wherever I've gone to (London, Barcelona, Rome, Milan, Singapore, Hongkong, etc) and when I go on their public transport system, then I see people staring at their smartphones a LOT more than any other devices.