What is a SPARE in ZFS

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jay69

Feb 6, 2012
I'm trying to co-relate ZFS terminology to NAPP-IT.

Where do I configure, enable, disable ZIL, ARC , L2ARC in NAPP-IT ?

What is a SPARE in ZFS ? In normal raid, this would have to be the same size as Disk but ZFS seems to allow for a different size.

Thanks.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
I'm trying to co-relate ZFS terminology to NAPP-IT.

Where do I configure, enable, disable ZIL, ARC , L2ARC in NAPP-IT ?

What is a SPARE in ZFS ? In normal raid, this would have to be the same size as Disk but ZFS seems to allow for a different size.

Thanks.
ZIL and ARC are internal parts of ZFS. No need to do anything with them.

If you want to improve read performance you can extend the ARC (Read cache from unused RAM), by adding a L2ARC to the pool with menu pool - add read cache ssd

Zil (the log for sync writes) is usually located on your pool. To improve sync write performance, you can use a dedicated ZIL drive instead. This is also pool wide and done with menu pool - add write cache ssd

A spare in ZFS is the same as always. If a disk fails it is replaced with a spare if the spare has at least the same size. ZFS is flexible in size. Your pool can be build also from vdevs in different sizes.

Last edited:

Jay69

Feb 6, 2012
Thanks. What confused me was the fact that I could add a smaller disk to a pool with larger disks size and a article I read seems to mix up Spare and L2ARC in the same sentences.,,

ZIL and ARC are internal parts of ZFS. No need to do anything with them.

If you want to improve read performance you can extend the ARC (Read cache from unused RAM), by adding a L2ARC to the pool with menu pool - add read cache ssd

Zil (the log for sync writes) is usually located on your pool. To improve sync write performance, you can use a dedicated ZIL drive instead. This is also pool wide and done with menu pool - add write cache ssd

A spare in ZFS is the same as always. If a disk fails it is replaced with a spare if the spare has at least the same size. ZFS is flexible in size. Your pool can be build also from vdevs in different sizes.