What is a compatible SAS RAID Controller for Norco 4224 24 Bay chassis.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Socrates

Dec 28, 2016
I've picked up a Norco 4224 4U Rack Case with a SUPERMICRO X9SCM-F-O LGA-1155 C204 mATX Server Motherboard and a i3-2120 processor locally for really cheap. The server came with 4 x aoc-saslp-mv8 SAS controller cards.
This server is going to be used as a media server on WHS 2011 on SnapRAID.

I was reading online that a lot of folks are facing of larger capacity disks not working with aoc-saslp-mv8 controller card. For some even the 3TB-4TB disks are not working.
As we know that Norco has a passive way of connecting the disks, what are the other options i have to use 4TB disks. I have a plethora of 4TB disks, and i would like to use it with the Norco chassis.
What card should i replace to make it work with this chassis and motherboard? I'll have to buy four of these cards, hence definitely i need to look at the price factor also.

Please guide.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
3 LSI 2008 HBA's (pick your poison be it a 9211-8i, 9210-8i, 9207-8i, H310, H200, M1015, etc./list goes on and on) should do the trick to connect up to the 24 bays.

Socrates

Dec 28, 2016
Thanks for ur reply. Are these the only options? most of the cards are for over 70 usd and above, gonna cost me 200 dollar upwards on just these cards. The issue is now cos these disks are 4TB i dont see it as a cost effectivce investment, yes if the cards could support upwards of 4tb, i dont mind.
Whats your best bet for me to go cost effective on this?

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Those'll work, also Dell Perc H310's (LSI 2008 6Gbps series) can be had regularily on ebay for $40 a pop. Take that route or a single HBA w/ a sas expander like a Intel res2sv240, if your drives are sata though I'd stick w/ 3 HBA's as those sas expander will work w/ sata drives but many will chastize (in a friendly manner) you abt it. I 'used' to run like this for quite some time w/ no ill effects but just avoid it if you can.

Socrates

Dec 28, 2016
Those'll work, also Dell Perc H310's (LSI 2008 6Gbps series) can be had regularily on ebay for $40 a pop. Take that route or a single HBA w/ a sas expander like a Intel res2sv240, if your drives are sata though I'd stick w/ 3 HBA's as those sas expander will work w/ sata drives but many will chastize (in a friendly manner) you abt it. I 'used' to run like this for quite some time w/ no ill effects but just avoid it if you can.
Thanks, thats a great suggestion.
Does this look something like this?

I do have a lot of space in my chassis. Let me know the cos of using this.
Is this drama free install? as in flashing a firmware and modding?

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Yes that's it, you already have the goods! Just get a new HBA if ya wanna go ultra budget friendly and use that for now, single conn off hba to that then all the other 5 avail conn's off sas expander to norco backplane and use your last free port on HBA to direct connect last 4 slots on norco backplane effectively wiring up all 24 off one HBA and one expander.

EDIT: I've never flashed a expander so stay away from that, what it has on it if good nuff'. Flash the LSI 2008 ctrl to IT mode 20.00.07.00 (latest) when you get it.

Double EDIT: Wouldnt a X9scl mobo have some pic-e slots on it, that thing looks small and I USED to have a X9scm in a norco 4224. wtf why is that HBA off to the side nad wired up somehow to mobo, never seen that so YMMV. :-D

Triple EDIT: I ROCK! hah OHHH I see you have a pci-e ribbon/converter hangin off there for some odd reason, that a X9scl for sure? I sure don't see slots unless I am blind. I do see 'Hummingbird' or what I perceive to be that word on the mobo and not typical SM badging so I'm not so sure you have a X9SCL there.

Last edited:

Socrates

Dec 28, 2016
Yes that's it, you already have the goods! Just get a new HBA if ya wanna go ultra budget friendly and use that for now, single conn off hba to that then all the other 5 avail conn's off sas expander to norco backplane and use your last free port on HBA to direct connect last 4 slots on norco backplane effectively wiring up all 24 off one HBA and one expander.

EDIT: I've never flashed a expander so stay away from that, what it has on it if good nuff'. Flash the LSI 2008 ctrl to IT mode 20.00.07.00 (latest) when you get it.

Double EDIT: Wouldnt a X9scl mobo have some pic-e slots on it, that thing looks small and I USED to have a X9scm in a norco 4224. wtf why is that HBA off to the side nad wired up somehow to mobo, never seen that so YMMV. :-D

Triple EDIT: I ROCK! hah OHHH I see you have a pci-e ribbon/converter hangin off there for some odd reason, that a X9scl for sure? I sure don't see slots unless I am blind. I do see 'Hummingbird' or what I perceive to be that word on the mobo and not typical SM badging so I'm not so sure you have a X9SCL there.
Oh no, I do not have the RES2SV240 card yet. The image i posted is off google. Just wanted to confirm if it looks something like this.
I've sent several pm's to ebay sellers asking them for a better offer. Lets see how comes up with a better deal. here on the forum, i see lots of people have brought this card for close to 60-70 bucks.
I am based in IL, hence the shipping wont be that high either. Hopefully someone in this forum who doesnt need this card anymore due to upgrading their setup may want to reach out to me via pm as well if they can come close or better to the price they brought previously here when the deal was offered by the ebay seller. I'd snatch it right away.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Ohh ok that makes sense now, yeah sorry I unloaded mine here to a member 6 months or so ago for $80 I think, picked up cheap from kalleyomalley ebay seller, they often take WAY less on BO than what their listings show.

Socrates

Dec 28, 2016
Posting a couple of pictures of what i am trying to do with all of my servers and also the space in the interior of my norco chassis.

The rest of the SuperMicro's i have all have SAS3 backplanes. I have another 36 bay 4U supermicro with SAS2 on the way with arriving shortly.

I have this much space in my norco chassis

Theres another 24U 36bay SAS2 chassis in transit.