What I can do with this stuff??

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

karl_azytzeen

Dec 29, 2018
Hi!
Good morning ppl, i had found some stuff that was prepared to be disposed in my work and i took it, cause it looks in pretty good condition.
Please, can you help me deciding what I can do with it, or what/where they can be useful for?
A little background: in my job wen we need a computer running something, always we install A and B computers, hot and stand-by running trought a KVM. Here i took the parts of both computers that were in a reasonable good condition, but i can clearly see which one is A and what is the Backup one. They probalby where located in a office, in a control operation point of our power grid(dedectod trought some stikers in the chasis.

Motherboard: 2x Supermicro X7DBE-X.
CPU: 4x Intel Xeon 5410
VGA: 3x Datapath Vantage 4 pro (I found 5 but 2 had clear sign of burn in a SMD).
PSU: 2x Supermicro PWS-865-PQ
BACKPLANE: 2x SAS-743TQ
FAN: 8x Supermicro (san ace 2800 rpm) fan-0104L4
Caddy: 11x 3.5 caddy mount (the chassis only had 8 so i had 3 spares).
CHASIS: 1x Supermicro SC743TQ
Cooler: 4x Stock crappy intel coolers

No ram installed.
No hard drives installed.

Just now im bilding a ZFS file server (by now i had 5x8tb WD80EZAZ), supremicro X11SSH-CTF, Cooler master 212 Led), maybe I can mix this with some of that stuff... but im not really sure if they are even compatible.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
It's not worth it. The CPU is Nehalem, which is not cost effective anymore, the video card is old, the PSU can probably be replaced by something 80PLUS for not very much, the chassis is kinda meh, and I doubt that you can reuse the caddies on the newer X11 chassis. Just leave them alone.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Nehalem was Xeon 5500 right? this is before that?
Yeah, I misread that. X5400s are Harpertowns, AKA Core 2 Penryns in Xeon form. They are very much not worth the effort keeping them up - you'll need DDR2 FBDIMMs, and I don't think the SuperMicro X7s will even support PCIe. These things are old/dead in the water.