What happened to the `zfs set shareiscsi=on` command?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

AveryFreeman

consummate homelabber
Mar 17, 2017
Near Seattle
averyfreeman.com
Hey,

I see reference to this command occasionally, usually in pretty old literature, and I'm just wondering what happened to it:

Code:
zfs set shareiscs=on pool/zvol
Has it been depreciated?

I found reference to it here:

Also ZoL:

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Yes, depreciated.
Originally Sun intended iSCSI sharing to be as simple as NFS and SMB where a set=on is enough. In the end Sun developped Comstar, a iSCSI framework that is much more powerful and a lot faster and prepared for enterprise needs.

Last edited:
Reactions: AveryFreeman

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
The ZFS/kernelbased services like SMB were never ported outside Solarish. Even a smbshare=on that is available on ZoL only activates SAMBA there.

Beside that, iSCSI sharing is mostly there for enterprise needs where a simple set to on is not enough. Quite often you want targets with many LUNs, target groups or target portal groups to organise a mess with many LUNs.

Basically Comstar is not too complicated. You need a logical unit based on a zvol, file or raw disk and a target that can see the logical units (has views). In napp-it I have added a simple iSCSI=on mechanism in menu ZFS filesystems that cares about in the background to allow a simple sharing=on on a per filesystem base that you can even re enable on a replicated filesystem.

Last edited:
Reactions: AveryFreeman

AveryFreeman

consummate homelabber
Mar 17, 2017
Near Seattle
averyfreeman.com
Beside that, iSCSI sharing is mostly there for enterprise needs where a simple set to on is not enough. Quite often you want targets with many LUNs, target groups or target portal groups to organise a mess with many LUNs.
It's so true, that's one reason I really love OmniOS/Illumos platform. the zfs share functionality on it vs linux & freebsd is different as night and day.

Basically Comstar is not too complicated. You need a logical unit based on a zvol, file or raw disk and a target that can see the logical units (has views). In napp-it I have added a simple iSCSI=on mechanism in menu ZFS filesystems that cares about in the background to allow a simple sharing=on on a per filesystem base that you can even re enable on a replicated filesystem.
Yeah, it really wasn't so bad, I got through it without Napp-It for the first time this last LUN I put up. Definitely takes some getting used to since there are so many different applications required for the whole process. I can see why they made it that way, but it's a lot more logical than user friendly. Thank god the Oracle docs are well written.