What happened to AMD Epyc 1st gen prices?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
Scanning through the offers for 2nd gen Epyc CPUs, I noticed that 1st gen CPUs are suddenly at a heavy discount from many vendors.
For Example the 7551 went from a stable 3800€ down to just 1200€.
And 7451 is down to ~900€ after being stable at around 2400€ ever since its release.

Are those discounts coming from AMD directly? Was there any scandal that I missed? Or is it the vendors who are still sitting on some 1st gen stock, afraid of not selling them at all now that 2nd gen is out.

My original plan was to upgrade my 7301 to second gen. But with these discounts and DDR4-2666 for around 4€/GB I think I have to reconsider. There aren't any motherboards for 2nd gen that I would be interested in anyway.

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
I guess I am not used to discounts on server CPUs, just because the next gen launches. Never saw anything similar with Intel.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Never saw anything similar with Intel.
I think that's precisely the reason so many of us are happy to see AMD back in the game and making stonking server CPUs; their penetration in to the server market seems a *lot* larger than it ever was in their previous opteron golden age. Even if you don't buy any AMD CPUs yourself, the price and performance pressure they're putting on Intel will still mean better, cheaper CPUs for everyone.

Personally I'm keeping an eye out for discounts on the current Threadrippers if/when a new Zen-2 based TR appears...

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
Still, such huge discounts tell a lot about perceived value and demand for 1st gen Epyc. Seems like nobody really wanted to use it, everybody was just happy that AMD finally put pressure on Intel to push innovation and drop prices.
And now sellers who have some of these CPUs in their warehouses are afraid they will only collect dust.