What does everyone do with old hardware?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ReturnedSword

Jun 15, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
I recently decommissioned my two old workstations and have no idea what to do with them now since I prefer to buy new/relatively recent hardware. I considered running Proxmox or ESXi but would rather buy new hardware for that purpose.

The two systems I have are Sandy Bridge, i7-2600k and i5-2500k, with 32GB DDR3-1866 each.

What does everyone do with their old hardware?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I either sell or recycle. Otherwise, way too much piles up.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I recently decommissioned my two old workstations and have no idea what to do with them now since I prefer to buy new/relatively recent hardware. I considered running Proxmox or ESXi but would rather buy new hardware for that purpose.

The two systems I have are Sandy Bridge, i7-2600k and i5-2500k, with 32GB DDR3-1866 each.

What does everyone do with their old hardware?
That stuff, sell it.

Other "Old" stuff recycle.

My problems are between "Keep to use later" and "keep until obsolete and recycle" LOL!!

Reactions: pgh5278

ReturnedSword

Jun 15, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
That's my main problem with old stuff. I usually keep it thinking "might need it later." I did some inventory and organization of my old stuff last month, and found all my old laptops (which I was going to give away/sell), and a lot of random stuff like a stack of 50+ Intel 100 Mbps PCI NICs that are NIB from early in my IT career.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
That's my main problem with old stuff. I usually keep it thinking "might need it later." I did some inventory and organization of my old stuff last month, and found all my old laptops (which I was going to give away/sell), and a lot of random stuff like a stack of 50+ Intel 100 Mbps PCI NICs that are NIB from early in my IT career.
LOL yep.

I found some old old old old old stuff in my basement, even a box of NIB PC Fans from years ago, haha.

Doesn't include the boxes of scrapped parts FROM PC\Server parts, ha ha... like copper heat sinks, fans, and other misc. stuff that can be used in DIY electric, and other DIY fab projects :D

ReturnedSword

Jun 15, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
LOL yep.

I found some old old old old old stuff in my basement, even a box of NIB PC Fans from years ago, haha.

Doesn't include the boxes of scrapped parts FROM PC\Server parts, ha ha... like copper heat sinks, fans, and other misc. stuff that can be used in DIY electric, and other DIY fab projects :D
Still organizing currently. I found a box of brand new Yate Loon 120mm fans that were from the time I was a site contributor at SilentPCReview. Anyone remember them? Haha. Back then you had to get the fans special ordered in bulk if you wanted to pay a decent price, so I thought why not buy a couple hundred? I was using them for workstation builds when I had my personal business. I still have about 20.

SRussell

Oct 7, 2019
US
I go through a tiered system:
1. Donate to friends, friends of friends, who are interested in learning.
2. Donate to local vocational college for A+ classes.
3. Donate to local non-profits that need compute.
4. Donate to FreeIT Athens who recycles the systems in their community or non-profits locally. What can not be donated they strip down and e-cyclers pickup the material.