What do you think of it

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TheMineGeek

Aug 28, 2016
Hi everybody,

I'm actually planning to build a server. It should be a fileserver / plex / owncloud & some others small applications. I've choosen to run it with proxmox so there will be one VM with fileserver / plex / owncloud, one with mailserver and one for the others applications.
Here is the hardware i've choosen :
CPU : 2 * E5-2670
MB : EP2C602-4L/D16
RAM : 4 * Hynix 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 PC3L-10600R ECC 1.35v
PSU : Corsair CS550 80PLUS Gold EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2
CASE : Server Case UK - 4U Standard Chassis 15 x 3.5" HDD

So, I'd like to know what do you think about the config ? Is everything compatible. Does it look like a good idea to use proxmox to seperate everything like that ?

Thank you,
TheMineGeek

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrick

Keljian

Sep 9, 2015
Melbourne Australia
Change the psu for something a bit better.

As for what you're running, I advise you separate things out a bit more. Eg:
- Plex server
- own cloud
- file server
- mail
Etc

Proxmox or esxi could be used, with proxmox you could store your files in Dom0/zfs and that may make things easier.

TheMineGeek

Aug 28, 2016
By better you mean with a bigger wattage? Is it worth to pay more for 80Plus grade?

If I separe more taks like you said, do I keep storing my movies/musics/... on the file storage vm and access them from plex and own cloud vm?

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
By better you mean with a bigger wattage? Is it worth to pay more for 80Plus grade?

If I separe more taks like you said, do I keep storing my movies/musics/... on the file storage vm and access them from plex and own cloud vm?
That corsair is from the budget line and barely has average voltage ripple. Also for a 20 board you need 2 to 3 ATX 8pin connectors not the 1 found on that pleb pay. I recommend an EVGA 750 or 850w g2. Superflower odm and near perfect voltage ripple. Good price an warranty on those units.

Reactions: rubylaser

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
@TheMineGeek as @Patriot said I would go with an EVGA G2 model. They work great and come with the connectors you need. I have a couple in use right now for my home server, and some friends.

Reactions: rubylaser

Keljian

Sep 9, 2015
Melbourne Australia
I like the coolermaster V series.

Re separating VMs yes, the plex and own cloud VMs would access the file storage VM( or in the case of proxmox, the file storage)

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
Another option for simple services like this is to use Docker containers for things like Plex or Owncloud.

At home I have moved away from Vms for each application. I can map the storage volume to each container without even needing to setup NFS or Samba.

I have found this approach super easy to maintain and keep up to date.

Reactions: T_Minus and Keljian

Keljian

Sep 9, 2015
Melbourne Australia
Another option for simple services like this is to use Docker containers for things like Plex or Owncloud.

At home I have moved away from Vms for each application. I can map the storage volume to each container without even needing to setup NFS or Samba.

I have found this approach super easy to maintain and keep up to date.
Got an easy/quick Docker tutorial handy? I'm interested.

Docker in a "thick" VM could reduce my storage requirements a little.

Last edited:
Reactions: T_Minus

TheMineGeek

Aug 28, 2016
Isn't that approach a bit harder to understand ? I'm a beginner and VMs were looking easier to understand. At least I could change later if I really feel the need

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
Got an easy/quick Docker tutorial handy? I'm interested.

Docker in a "thick" VM could reduce my storage requirements a little.
I don't have a complete tutorial on understanding how Docker works, but I did write up a tutorial to show how I configure it and set it up. For my home media server, it has worked great in combination with SnapRAID + mergerfs on the host.

#96 Docker - How and why I use it

Reactions: Keljian

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
Isn't that approach a bit harder to understand ? I'm a beginner and VMs were looking easier to understand. At least I could change later if I really feel the need
I don't think it's any more difficult to understand, it's just different. If you are more comfortable with VMs, then by all means, use them. I've used Proxmox and KVM/OpenVZ/LXC VMs for years (and continue to), I just like how easy it is to just manage a couple configuration files and have my Docker containers automatically stay separate and up-to-date from my host OS.

Also, most people here like to learn and try out new things, and if you are like that, Docker is definitely one of those things you will want to try out at some point :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Keljian

TheMineGeek

Aug 28, 2016
I have a last question. Have you a good ventirad recommendation ? I don't really understand the "square type CPU Cooler" on the AsRock product page
I've also seen my RAM is PC3L, isn't it a problem ?

Last edited:

fractal

Jun 7, 2016
I've also seen my RAM is PC3L, isn't it a problem ?
Only if you board wants DDR4 ;)

Ohh, I made a funny ...

DDR3L / PC3L is supposed to work in any motherboard that takes DDR3/PC3 memory. It will run at 1.35 volts in any motherboard / processor combination that supports low voltage memory. It will run at 1.5 volts (standard) in any motherboard /processor combination that does not support low voltage memory. There is no reason to avoid PC3L unless you know you have the rare motherboard that isn't compliant with the standards.