What do people here use for video cards

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

yaxisandxaxis

Jan 26, 2015
I'm not into OC at all. BUUUT - @OP - if you are on here, you probably have a $300 router not some linksys POS and you probably have at least 1-3 NAS units each with SSDs and HDDs worth a pretty penny.

You -> Keyboard/ mouse -> PC -> GPU -> Monitor

Get whatever you want. I read reviews and those cards look good.

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
I'm not sure why the hate for AIO water system. Myself, I don't see the point in EVER going full water and OCing other than "for fun" and to just "do it".

I used a H100i for a3930k and it worked fine, OC'd fine, stayed cool, and did it's job just fine.
I use a H60i for a L5639 OC and it works awesome, I removed the OC and let the H60i keep it cool, and SILENT with Noctua fans.

If The h60i is quieter than air, and works as good or better and cost ~50$ on sale for H80 or H60... seems like a no brainer to me. No hassle, no install problem, etc.

Then again if you're not OCing or don't care about sound much I wouldn't risk any water in my system, but hey, that's me :D
I wouldn't say hate, rather I'm legitimately curious about pros and con's. I'm an old school OCer and built my first WC system from scratch back in late 90s so I'm fond of it but its a hassle.
Based on reviews it seems like high end air matches most AIO in performance so for me the risk of water and cost isn't worth it.
I still OC but I try to get the best $20 range cooler I can and be done with it. $80 for another 200Mhz isn't worth it IMO

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I wouldn't say hate, rather I'm legitimately curious about pros and con's. I'm an old school OCer and built my first WC system from scratch back in late 90s so I'm fond of it but its a hassle.
Based on reviews it seems like high end air matches most AIO in performance so for me the risk of water and cost isn't worth it.
I still OC but I try to get the best $20 range cooler I can and be done with it. $80 for another 200Mhz isn't worth it IMO

I agree, and with Haswell and newer they are so cool at idle they're nearly all silent now.

The AIO water was 1. cheap and 2. quieter than air so that's why I went that route.

I also was playing around with using it externally, and positions, etc... as I said for fun :) I did leave the 3930k OC'd a bit, but then turned ti back as it didn't really make any difference :D

TechIsCool

Feb 8, 2012
Clinton, WA
techiscool.com
Personally I use a 7970 but anyone that is going to be doing just desktop stuff and no really gaming. I would go Intel Integrated for <= 2 monitors but Nvidia Quadro for anything else. I have had troubles with AMD cards having graphics drivers just black screen for a few seconds and then cause instability in the system.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
I have lots of cards... I also have 2 unopened EVGA 970s both ACX2.0 coolers... one is more overclocked than the other... got them at 330 and 350.
If you are looking for a 970... I was planning on returning or selling them. I also have one that I have only used in a testbed... its another one of the $350 Superclocked ones.

Besides that I have a 290x and a 7970 .... I plan on getting a 390x when it comes out so I need to move my 970s soonish.

Reactions: Keljian

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
I'm still using a pair of quadro 2000 cards(gts 450 equivelents) I'm hoping to find some K series quadros on ebay at a palatable price, I do as much rendering as i do gaming.

Deci

Feb 15, 2015
6950, drives 3 screens and I rarely ever play games so the fact it's who knows how old doesn't bother me.
i have since upgraded to a 780ti, because it was the same price as a gtx970 and the 6950 was starting to let go and crash a heap.

still rarely play games though so the power is fairly wasted.

Keljian

Sep 9, 2015
Melbourne Australia
I run a 980gtx, but could probably get by very well with a 970. I like pretty things when I play games, but I am playing games less and less these days.

I am a huge fan of my i7-5775C though and wouldn't part with it for a skylake.

William

May 7, 2015
I have been using 2x Titan Blacks on my main rig for a long time now. They work pretty good I guess.
I went to a ASUS PB287Q 28" 3840 x 2160 display about a year ago, it was on sale at Fry's so I went sure...

For the most part everything works great in gaming and video. But 3840 x 2160 makes everything tiny and not all apps scale so ones like Photo shop the tool tips are very small. Gaming wise most are ok but some like Star Citizen puts the hurt on and I have to lower res and details down to get good FPS.