What desk do you guys use

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Airbozo

Apr 13, 2016
Santa Cruz Mountains
I use this desk (Studio RTA Producer Station):

The downside is there are no rear mounting rails, so I am having a friend weld some in (have to stack the heavy equipment on the bottom). It is also a little short for my Intel server chassis (pics later). Fits all my server gear on one side, my gaming rig and Dell T7500 on the other side and audio gear below the top. It has wheels, so moving it for upgrades and re-cabling is a snap.

Reactions: Jerry Renwick

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
I like the look of that thing - too bad it looks designed for network or audio gear and not servers/storage gear (deep 4-post stuff)

Airbozo

Apr 13, 2016
Santa Cruz Mountains
Yes it is designed mainly for audio gear. All but my WHS and Intel Server fit nicely. The WHS is a bit too heavy with all the drives and the intel server is way to deep to fit properly. I have a small office and have to fit what I can in it, hence the dual (or triple) purpose desk. I'll clean up my space and snap some shots of the gear in and on it.

pc-tecky

May 1, 2013
I like functional, simple, fairly sturdy, and reasonable furniture: I use Ikea's Gerton (raw/nude beech wood) table top with their (now Gerton) adjustable legs to yield ~31" of under desk clearance (as I'm closer to 7-foot tall than I am to 5-foot tall, and standard tables/desks are ~27" of under desk clearance).

Wow, the Studio RTA Producer Station nearly looks like the wild crazy idea I once had to get a bolt together rack (like Star Case), slap on a quality set of industrial caster wheels, and attach a desk to the side or on top of two racks (15U-21U). I just didn't know at the time just how impractical sitting next to (the jet engines of multiple) enterprise servers would be.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
I use this desk (Studio RTA Producer Station):

The downside is there are no rear mounting rails, so I am having a friend weld some in (have to stack the heavy equipment on the bottom). It is also a little short for my Intel server chassis (pics later). Fits all my server gear on one side, my gaming rig and Dell T7500 on the other side and audio gear below the top. It has wheels, so moving it for upgrades and re-cabling is a snap.
There's room for a T7500 in there? I'll have to look at one nothing i had was tall enough for my T7500 when i bought one

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I use this desk (Studio RTA Producer Station):

Please on pics! I am trying to imagine how the monitor would work on here. I think on the top shelf would be too high.

BTW - if I get this, I think my wife is going to hate you! ;)

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
Please on pics! I am trying to imagine how the monitor would work on here. I think on the top shelf would be too high.

The upside of getting married later this year, the desk can be a "wedding present" I've got 2 desks in my office right now to hold all my equipment most of which is shallow enough this will make life much easier

DavidRa

Infrastructure Architect
Aug 3, 2015
Central Coast of NSW
www.pdconsec.net
I didn't think this would be large enough at first, but it's been awesome - tower on blocks, on the left, three x 27 inch 2.5K monitors on top and the peripherals and notebook on the main surface. Logitech darkfield(?) allows mouse with no mousepad on glass.

Desk.JPG

Not my picture but it's the only one I could find with the right colours, and mine is a mess...

Airbozo

Apr 13, 2016
Santa Cruz Mountains
There's room for a T7500 in there? I'll have to look at one nothing i had was tall enough for my T7500 when i bought one
Yes, the T7500 fits with room on top.

Right now I have a 46" TV (mainly for gaming). The top shelf is not too high for me (I am 6'2"). I do find the keyboard shelf gets in the way, but I will probably remove it soon since I never use it.

My wife actually loved me getting this desk since it uncluttered my office ( I was able to get rid of my old SGI tall rack). It also comes in a darker color.

@Patrick, I bet that the top shelf can just be not put in place. I have done that with several builds.

Chris
Not putting the top on would make it tough to use the upper rack mount areas, but would still be doable.

The main downside of this desk is the short depth and no rear mounting rails. For light servers this is not an issue, but my Intel R2208GZ is about 3-4" too long, so it sticks out in front and I have it sitting on the bottom platform.

I'll take some pictures in a couple of days. Not home much due work and playoff hockey.

BTW there is a nice cable tray in the back and cutouts for cables.

Reactions: Patrick

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I have an octagon desk that someone gave me years ago. I have almost 360 degrees of work area I can pivot around. I would post a pic but it's buried in stuff at the moment.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
IKEA DIY is great :D.
I love IKEA tempered glass top since can be placed on Ikea desks. aka mix-match

when I need to replace my L desk (well do not know when), I will look on IKEA DIY solution for my taste

spyrule

Here is my setup.

I bought a used Ikea Gallant corner table, and then I just happen to drive past a perfectly good Gallant table (same corner and color) that an office was throwing out (no frame or legs). So I took the one in the least good condition, cut off ~12 inches from the long side, and 8-10 inches from the short side (including the 1/2 moon corner). and then purchased a two sets of the Ikea Capita table top legs (6") and simply placed the cut version on top of the uncut version. I then used an Ikea under table cable management to help keep most of the cables out of sight.

I little ikea under table lighting for mood/effect....

I have a short rack that most of my hardware will be going into in the next few weeks, but until thats done, I still use the Ikea shelf as a rack for all my hardware as well. It is crazy strong, and it mounts all of my hardware at the perfect level.

I also happened to own an older Subaru in the past and had a set of STi (v7) seats left over when I sold it, so I turned one into an office chair. Seriously one of the most comfortable chairs I've ever owned.

myworkstation_small.png

Reactions: Patrick

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
Have to say the galant desks are very utilitarian, functional, look ok, ours have lived and moved thru 4 countries and still going strong..

mackle

Nov 13, 2013
I bought a used Ikea Gallant corner table, and then I just happen to drive past a perfectly good Gallant table (same corner and color) that an office was throwing out (no frame or legs). So I took the one in the least good condition, cut off ~12 inches from the long side, and 8-10 inches from the short side (including the 1/2 moon corner). and then purchased a two sets of the Ikea Capita table top legs (6") and simply placed the cut version on top of the uncut version. I then used an Ikea under table cable management to help keep most of the cables out of sight.
That looks almost identical to what I ended up with - except I have the white BEKANT and used a leftover piece of 2x4ft birch ply to create the top shelf.