What DAS'es are equivalent to Lenovo SA120? How about including the compute hardware in the chassis?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ullbeking

Jul 28, 2017
London
Hi all,

I really love the Lenovo SA120, and I'm actually running an experiment at the moment using the dual-port SAS feature. SA120's are unfortunately hard to find where I live, and besides, it would be nice to try something different and new.

I have two questions, each corresponding to a different use case and a different purpose/role of the hardware:
  1. Could somebody please recommend a 2U, 12-bay, 3.5", front-loading and hot-swappable, SAS3 dual-port interface DAS (JBOD?) that I could use in place of the SA120? I would like to continue experiments with two controllers in an redundant configuration, i.e., in this scenario I would connect one controller to each "side" of the SAS HDD's ports. The SA120 here has two SAS interfaces at the rear.
  2. I would also like a recommendation for HW for a scenario where I have the compute hardware AND the 12x 3.5" front-loading HDD's in the same chassis. I understand this is a configuration that is definitely possible. In other words, this would be a virtualization host plus NAS in an all-in-one 2U chassis. (The dual-port feature is irrelevant in this case, I think. Nevertheless I'm wondering if there is a configuration here where dual-port actually makes sense.)
Certainly Option 1. is more interesting. Option 2. can save a lot of money and hassle.

Thanks for the suggestions!!

@ullbeking

Sogndal94

Senior IT Operations Engineer
Nov 7, 2016
Norway
2. There is alot of 12bay supermicro servers. if you find a chassi that you like, can you make it into a DAS.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Do you mean SAS2 (6gbps)? 90% sure that's what the SA120 is, never seen 12gbps SAS3 mentioned with it. If you indeed mean SAS2 like the SA120, the dell md1200 is nearly identical configuration wise (dual controllers & PSUs, SAS2, 12 bays, pulls about the same power without disks (50w versus sa120 ~40w)). the MD1200 (and pretty much every other DAS shelf out there) will be a good amount louder than the SA120

Last edited: