What board/system takes this RAM? (DDR3L 12800 16GB ECC Reg SODIMM 4Rx8)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sfbayzfs

May 6, 2015
SF Bay area
I mistakenly bought some of these a while ago for my Supermicro C2000 based ITX boards before I could find specs assuming they were unbuffered, but they turned out to be ECC Reg.

Does anyone know what uses these? I tried them in a couple of theoretically compatible boards through SODIMM -> DIMM adapters a while ago (I forget who suggested the adapters, but thanks!) unfortunately with no luck, but the adapters were cheap and maybe they don't support ECC Reg, or maybe the board doesn't like the timings on this RAM.

Anyway, I have 5 of them (I think I was going for a 64GB set plus a spare), and they are marked:
Micron MT36KSS2G72RHZ-1G6E1HE
16GB 4Rx8
(plus date codes, which look like the end of 2014 to me)

Someone on ebay is selling them for 100 each, which seems ridiculous (I think that's a bit more than I paid) but they have sold some, and all I can find quickly googling is places selling them for even more, but no mention of what uses them - any ideas?

sfbayzfs

May 6, 2015
SF Bay area
Interesting, the X9SPV family you listed one variant of may be the only board class Supermicro makes which can take ECC Reg SODIMMs but only a maximum of 16GB total with a maximum density of 8GB per SODIMM in each of the two SODIMM slots (so then what's the point of ECC Reg support since unbuffered ECC 8GB SODIMMs are abailable and there are only 2 RAM slots anyway) The second board seems to take ECC unbuffered only, with a 32GB max and 4 slots.

For some reason I hasn't noticed this: Motherboard Matrix | Support - Super Micro Computer, Inc. before - I searched through it, and two variants of that first board are the only boards listed (of 7 versions, the rest specifically only support unbuffered ECC) which supports ECC Reg SODIMMs in the whole table. Further adding to the confusion, the CPU options are only i3, i5, and i7, the latter two of which would usually not even have ECC support, but they are uncommon embedded models, and it specifically lists ECC support, so maybe these CPUs are exceptions to the usual no ECC support with i5 and i7 CPUs rule.

These are the two variants which list ECC Reg support in an SODIMM in the entire table:
Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Xeon® Boards | X9SPV-LN4F-3LE
Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Xeon® Boards | X9SPV-F-3217UE

Interesting tangent, I was unaware of that ITX motherboard line from Supermicro until you linked to them...

Anyway, the mystery SODIMMs do also have strings which start with DPAE, but they are all different after that, so I figured they were serial numbers rather than Dell Part numbers.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
I actually have one of those X9SPV boards. I could test larger DIMMs (currently have 2 x 8GB), but the boards are pretty rare.

My guess is that they were intended for HPE Moonshot systems.