What are the most sensible replacements for Supermicro 40x56mm 1U fans?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Just looking for some quick info so I don't have to scour through search results.

I've got 2U chassis, that use 4x of the FAN-0102L4, which are PWM 1U 40x56mm fans, 23 CFM, around 9k-12k RPM. Not really that quiet even on the lowest fan setting in the BMC.

I was looking at swapping them with 4 of the Noctua NF-A4x20. However I think that for cooling / temps they might not be the best as they only really move around 5-6 CFM.

Are there any other server-grade alternates that you guys know of, and can provide specific part or model numbers for that are much quieter than FAN-0102L4?

Thanks!

Reactions: Patrick

anoother

Dec 2, 2016
If you can find another way to control your current fans, that might be the best option as opposed to new fans.

I have three FAN-0086L4s in a 1u pizzabox; upon research, they're even faster than 0102L4s. But throttled down to 20% duty cycle, they're silent. I run them fast enough that they're just audible over the CPU fan at idle. At this speed they push decent air and I still get the static pressure benefits of deep, counter-rotating fans.

So... How?
One of these: Akasa Thermal Solution
And one of these: NA-FC1

NB: Those are not the exact parts I use as a) only have 3 fans so use an unsleeved 3-fan version of the cable and b) the PWM controller I sourced is no longer available. But same difference, essentially.

Last edited:
Reactions: frogtech and Evan

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
FAN-0102L4 is faster and louder than FAN-0100L4. It's two fans counter-rotating with rated speeds of 12,00 and 8,900 RPMs and a 56dBA rating. Even with PWM controllers these are loud due to the construction.

FAN-0100L4 is rated for 8,500 RPM and 34dBA and to my ears at least has a less annoying noise than the counter-rotating fans. With a motherboard with proper PWM support they are very quiet, although not as quiet as the noctua's you were looking at that likely can't meet your cooling needs.

FAN-0100L4 is also relatively cheap at around $14 shipped. Hope it works out for you. 40mm fans are a PITA when trying to keep quiet.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
I have the links @anoother provided open in new tabs and I'm about to look at them, but one thing that I hadn't really thought of using is a simple fan controller solution, something with knobs and low surface area that I can hide or integrate into the chassis somehow. So, basically I'm really grateful for the idea!

I'm also planning on picking up 4x 0100L4 just to see how they do.

edit: After reviewing the parts mentioned I really think those would do the trick for me and still allow me to ues the proper counter rotating fans.

Sucks that the NA-FC1 is no longer available. Seems ironic since most of the reviews for it on Amazon are from 2017. I suspect someone talked about them and then they all got bought up :(/.

another edit: NA-FC1 available from Nocuta's ebay account:

Noctua NA-FC1 Lüftersteuerung / fan controller | eBay

Last edited:

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
Manual fan controllers are great in that they give you total control of the noise, just make sure you're careful about the cooling as there is no way for the server to ramp up the fans if it starts to overheat.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Right, probably for that solution the trick would be some kind of trial and error in terms of noise and personally acceptable temps.

I actually just remembered I have an NZXT Grid+ I could try out. I think the software only runs in windows but after it's been set it keeps the settings into the hub itself (I could be wrong about this and it might not be the solution I'm looking for if I ever want to use a Unix/Linux environment like Ceph or OpenStack as the infrastructure). Has manual control and creation of fan curves, w/o need for an external system.

Last edited:

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Manual fan controllers are great in that they give you total control of the noise, just make sure you're careful about the cooling as there is no way for the server to ramp up the fans if it starts to overheat.
If using a supermicro motherboard, you can use ipmitool with a script to control the fan speed based on the cpu temperature. I prefer this to a manual controller.

I originally found the script in the freenas forums. I run a couple of instances of the script in my freenas box to control 3 systems over the network.

Also @frogtech if you are looking for the 825m chassis then the 100L4 may not be sufficient unless it runs at high rpms.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
@K D do you have the script to share with explanations of parameters? I'm assuming it takes in raw values.

anoother

Dec 2, 2016
FAN-0102L4 is faster and louder than FAN-0100L4.
Apologies, I meant that I have FAN-0086L4, which seems to be faster than 0102L4.

I might try and pick up an NA-FC1 or two, didn't realise they were becoming unavailable; the product was only launched a few months ago. One advantage over my current controller is that it can take a PWM input and offset it, I beleive, meaning you can still have the motherboard ramp up the fans under load.

EDIT: They are out of stock in the UK too, but one shop is expecting stock this month, so I beleive they are still being produced.

Last edited:

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Apologies, I meant that I have FAN-0086L4, which seems to be faster than 0102L4.

I might try and pick up an NA-FC1 or two, didn't realise they were becoming unavailable; the product was only launched a few months ago. One advantage over my current controller is that it can take a PWM input and offset it, I beleive, meaning you can still have the motherboard ramp up the fans under load.

EDIT: They are out of stock in the UK too, but one shop is expecting stock this month, so I beleive they are still being produced.
Check my ebay link above, its noctuas official ebay account. I just picked up 6. I am going to use 4 for my convergence nodes and depending on how the fans are wired up in my g8000 and g8124e switch I will use them there also.

In my opinion if these don't work as well as i hope i think only other good ootb solution without scripting fan curves or doing hw hacks will be with some internal chassis device like grid+ of corsair commander.

Reactions: anoother

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Check my ebay link above, its noctuas official ebay account. I just picked up 6. I am going to use 4 for my convergence nodes and depending on how the fans are wired up in my g8000 and g8124e switch I will use them there also.

In my opinion if these don't work as well as i hope i think only other good ootb solution without scripting fan curves or doing hw hacks will be with some internal chassis device like grid+ of corsair commander.
Already got a shipment notification!

Also, I emailed noctua's support email, I'm not sure what resellers they're referring to but I'll assume newegg/amazon and the likes, and also quietpc, but this is what they said when I asked what the status on the product was:

"A new batch of NA-FC1 is ready and will be distributed to resellers this week, which means they should become available next week or so."

rchunter

Aug 9, 2016
I ordered one just to have on hand but I probably won't use it right away. I already have my fans under control with ipmiutil. They are running at 3400-3500 rpm.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
I ordered one just to have on hand but I probably won't use it right away. I already have my fans under control with ipmiutil. They are running at 3400-3500 rpm.
Can you share the fan model, motherboard and commands used?

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
So an update on this, I finally got an NA-FC1 one. My first shipment got lost and in that time they became available on Amazon via Prime. Picked some up.

These things are the REAL deal. Sure you have to use a dial but basically the dial basically "dials back" (no pun intended) the PWM cycle. So for counter rotating fans, this thing really silences them. I keep the dial at around what I guess I'd consider 30% of the way to fully rotated. And this thing is very quiet.