What are some good Intel V4 dual-processor motherboards?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

djbon2112

Nov 24, 2013
Burlington, ON, CANADA
www.boniface.me
I'm a little rusty on the hardware front: I know Supermicro, Tyan, ASUS, and a few others still make server-grade motherboards, but I'm not sure what to look for with all the choice!

My main requirement seems humble, but also seems to be quite rare: an IPMI OOB management that I can *SSH into* (like the Cisco CIMC) and get a SOL console. Other than that, it's up in the air: pretty much any combination of PCIe ports (two 8x for my SAS and 10GbE add-in cards) and/or onboard SAS/10GbE would work. As a homelabber, cost is extremely important, so I'm basically looking for the cheapest option that fits this bill, supporting Haswell V4 processors. I will ultimately need 3 of them. Any recommendations?

xienze

Apr 11, 2016
I'm not sure you're going to find SSH OOB management on any of those boards. Pretty much all of them use the exact same BMC (AST2400), which I don't believe offers what you're looking for. You're better off enabling SSH on a Raspberry Pi and running ipmitool from there.

djbon2112

Nov 24, 2013
Burlington, ON, CANADA
www.boniface.me
I'm not sure you're going to find SSH OOB management on any of those boards. Pretty much all of them use the exact same BMC (AST2400), which I don't believe offers what you're looking for. You're better off enabling SSH on a Raspberry Pi and running ipmitool from there.
I do know some (newer firmware'd) Supermicros support it: With the Supermicro Embedded BMC, is it possible to connect to Serial Over Lan via SSH?

But as much as I'd love to, $500+/board for Supermicro mobos is a little steep. Trying to see if there's cheaper v4-compatible alternatives with this same functionality.