What are latest/ last Gen of CPUs Chipsets (Mobile, Desktop/ Workstation) from Intel AMD still support & can run Win 8.1? As is or Mods w/o W10 push?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

xbliss

Sep 26, 2015
What are latest/ last Gen of CPUs Chipsets (Mobile, Desktop/ Workstation) from Intel AMD still support & can run Win 8.1? As is or Mods w/o W10 push?

What are the latest/ last Gen of CPUs Chipsets (Mobile, Desktop/ Workstation) from Intel AMD still support & can run Windows 8.1? officially or with some tweaks? With MS & OEMs not crippling it to push Win 10?

I will be getting a laptop or 2 in 1 in the next year 2022 or so and I'll likely make the desktop into a Home machine/ Small NAS.

Currently and will continue using Win 8.1 as long as possible. Hate Win 10 but will run a side instance VHD for tiny things once in a while.

What are the best Laptops / Desktops I could look into?

PS:
What am I reading about Microsoft doing some blocking business?
Is that just Windows updates? I can manually download and do cumulative updates every 3 months so I don't mind.
What else are they (MS) fiddling with?

PS: Kaby Lake motherboards also support Skylake CPUs. (noted on Intel site).

Last edited:

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
what IMHO last is only Intel, i.e. X99/C612) chipset/CPU combin. which has a good performance.

Reactions: xbliss

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Is that available or in any of these? - Hoping to snag a used one for low $ if I can.
low performance at all. but if that is enough for you ok. thought you want 12 cores or something for VM.
Haswell CPU is your friend.
WIndows 8.1 support and many available processors from pentium to i7.
edit: Sky Lake CPUs (6xxxT)

Last edited:

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
Depending on how autistic you are, you can run Win7/8.1 on basically anything, hell even XP runs on some Z690 boards: RE: [Solution] Win7 drivers for USB 3.0/3.1 Controllers of new Intel chipset systems - 33

Or there's me who's running Win7 on a 3950X coupled with a ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero. Took me three days of screwing around with DISM and NTLite to get it working properly though.

Stay away from X99, it's memory controller is VERY cursed. (as in, terrible/Ryzen around March 2017 levels of bad)

tl;dr: want a budget Windows 8.1 machine, get yourself a used Skylake board and call it a day.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
thinking outside your requirements, i would just get a modern pc and run virtual windows 8.1 while keep the PC OS at w10 levels. (not sold on w11). That way you get the protection of w10 and can run w8 as VM and have snap shots, etc.

Reactions: cesmith9999

Tom5051

Jan 18, 2017
Windows 10 is so much better than 8 and 8.1 . Why would you want to stay on 8.1??