What about VirtualBox?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

NeverDie

Jan 28, 2015
USA
I notice VirtualBox in the header for this sub-forum, and yet looking through the postings it has barely even been mentioned. Is VirtualBox fatally flawed? Too slow perhaps? Or are ESXi and Proxmox simply heaps better than it?

I notice Gnome Boxes doesn't get mentioned either, but it's only fairly recent.

nickscott18

Mar 15, 2013
I notice VirtualBox in the header for this sub-forum, and yet looking through the postings it has barely even been mentioned. Is VirtualBox fatally flawed? Too slow perhaps? Or are ESXi and Proxmox simply heaps better than it?

I notice Gnome Boxes doesn't get mentioned either, but it's only fairly recent.
To me, virtual box is more desktop virtualization software, rather than server virtualization. I use it on my work laptop to virtualize windows xp for development purposes, and have run an app server from it (to have a complete Dev environment locally when working remotely).

nickscott18

Mar 15, 2013
And a quick footnote - at home, I'm now using Hyper V (since I purchased Windows 8 Pro), I figure why install something else when the standard software works fine for my needs. Used to use Virtual Box, and would have no qualms about going back to it.

Reactions: T_Minus

mackle

Nov 13, 2013
My understanding is that development of Virtualbox has effectively stalled, while other implementations (VMWare etc) are continuing to evolve...

Rhinox

May 27, 2013
My understanding is that development of Virtualbox has effectively stalled, while other implementations (VMWare etc) are continuing to evolve...
Problem is its current owner: what Oracle gets in hands, that is dying slowly. With VirtualBox it is the same as it was/is with OpenOffice, MySQL, Solaris, Java, OpenSSO, etc. That company has long tradition of burying good software...

Reactions: BoredSysadmin

andrewbedia

Jan 11, 2013
Problem is its current owner: what Oracle gets in hands, that is dying slowly. With VirtualBox it is the same as it was/is with OpenOffice, MySQL, Solaris, Java, OpenSSO, etc. That company has long tradition of burying good software...
**** oracle and the horse they rode in on. Absolutely agreed.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
Activating this old thread. I am now considering to use virtualbox on my linux system but I am amazed how rudimentary the system is although as a freeware it is much better vmware.

Is virtualbox deadend? Knowing oracle, I guess Oracle really put Virtualbox on a deadend as their only purpose for open source is to somehow make money with premium features.

acquacow

Feb 15, 2017
Activating this old thread. I am now considering to use virtualbox on my linux system but I am amazed how rudimentary the system is although as a freeware it is much better vmware.

Is virtualbox deadend? Knowing oracle, I guess Oracle really put Virtualbox on a deadend as their only purpose for open source is to somehow make money with premium features.
You're on linux, use KVM like everyone else.

Reactions: Bert and Marjan

Endoftheworld

Sep 5, 2016

Virtualbox, despite limitations, is still huge among gamers, bloggers and other casual users. It's not for most of us here but I don't see it dying off unless Oracle pull the plug on it.

Reactions: Bert

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
I took the suggestion and I am on KVM now. It is working fine for me.