What 8TB SSD will you put in a new server build?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

msg7086

May 2, 2017
What liars?
They are crystal clear to you that those are QLC, which means they perform exactly like QLC -- fast when write cache is empty, slow when cache is full.
EVOs are TLC, which means they perform exactly like TLC -- fast when write cache is empty, slow when cache is full, but not as slow as QLC.

QLC is WELL KNOWN for lightweight IO, and extensive IO requires high end TLC or even MLC or SLC drives.

My Crucial P1 QLC drive writes at 1500MB/s at the beginning, and 80MB/s after cache is full, which exactly meets consumer use cases.

One of friends put that 870 QVO into a server. I had a chance to use that server. A simple apt-get upgrade takes 10X time compared to a normal TLC SSD.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
560/530 MB/s
98/88k IOPS
2880TB TDW (can you not see this?!?)
8TB capacity
$750

what more do you need?
Simply put the drive won't perform like that for you in a server use case, especially not a database server.

You'll get down to HDD performance ie: 100MB\s, and IOPs will be 1\10 of those rated "up to" in the spec, maybe even worse... latency will also be very high.

uberguru

Jun 7, 2013
He talks about fear mongering and how vendors all lie to us, but defends his decision by posting vendor marketing stats and discounting real world examples...
I mean at the end 870 EVO is not enterprise either, and is also meant for laptop/desktop use
So where does it end? Even some "enterprise" drives may not be the best ones, and so on and so on
So at the end of the day, as i mentioned Backup solves many of these hypes
Enterprise or no enterprise, backup is needed anyways
So what is point of over paying for what you can not see or predict really
You guys are paying a lot of money for ifs and ifs, making these companies trillion dollar companies off of ifs

Last edited:

msg7086

May 2, 2017
That's totally fine. People live their lives learning lessons. Some learned in the past, some will learn in the future. We shall see. ; )

I still recall people don't believe me about how slow a SMR HDD can be, and decide to buy some anyway. I'm sure they have learned the lesson soon after.

Reactions: itronin and tjk

uberguru

Jun 7, 2013
I have placed a return for the2 x 870 QVO 8TB for 4 x 870 EVO 4TB
I thought about several things and good that i havent even opened the box yet
As am I just designing my new setup now

I changed my design a bit and part of the decision was i do not need the big 8TB anymore
and the 4TB will be good, so thanks for all the continuous shouting, jokes
No more 870 QVO and now 870 EVO

Cheers

Reactions: tjk

tjk

Mar 3, 2013
I have placed a return for the2 x 870 QVO 8TB for 4 x 870 EVO 4TB
I thought about several things and good that i havent even opened the box yet
As am I just designing my new setup now

I changed my design a bit and part of the decision was i do not need the big 8TB anymore
and the 4TB will be good, so thanks for all the continuous shouting, jokes
No more 870 QVO and now 870 EVO

Cheers
Better decision for sure!

TLC vs. QLC SSDs: What are the differences? has a basic overview of QLC vs MLC vs TLC, it is a bit older and very basic but covers the high level differences along with some benchmarks.

Reactions: uberguru

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Anyone able to find this on ebay?

Edit: Check the partnumber and search for it on ebay
Dell.png

uberguru

Jun 7, 2013

Edit: Check the part number and search for it on ebay
Yeah i did search part number too and could not find on ebay
The ebay link check picture, not the same item
And certainly not interested in paying $2,500, even if the exact item

uberguru

Jun 7, 2013
It's the same nic...
Or do you mean it's a "different" item because of the bracket?
Pictures do not match
Did you compare/look at pictures at all?
The pain is there are many pictures and images of that claim same title
So very frustrating to say the least

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
It's the same NIC. You should go by part numbers, not images. The Mellanox product page has no heatsink in the image, but it's not produced without one.

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
Why do you have such an affinity for a stock image from Mellanox's website? They just grabbed the image directly from the vendor. It's not a photo they took. You do realize that it says exactly what I just said in my previous post on the website:

** The image may not match the actual product.
Look for part number to identify the right product. **

uberguru

Jun 7, 2013
Why do you have such an affinity for a stock image from Mellanox's website? They just grabbed the image directly from the vendor. It's not a photo they took. You do realize that it says exactly what I just said in my previous post on the website:
Can you not read?
All am saying is i will rather go with picture + part number rather than just part number, if i can
That is all am saying

If picture is not product then do not put the picture there
so not to confuse people, too many cameras in 2022 to not take exact picture

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
I think you may have limited understanding of how retailers work. No one is taking photos of their inventory outside of used goods on eBay. They're using stock photos. A large portion don't even hold inventory and just drop ship. So, it would be in your best interest, to read the disclaimer yourself and ignore stock photography for determining whether or not someone is selling the correct product, just like that retailer says to.