Western Digital HDD warranty replacement issues...

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I'm having issues with Western Digital HDD warranty replacement and just wondering if I'm being jerked around or if there are others experiencing similar problems right now...

I had a WD RE3 3TB drive that failed in one of my ZFS servers. In the past, WD warranty service was superb! They had a RMA/warranty processing location in Irvine, CA which is only 1-day away from my location. Usually, I can mail it out and they would receive it next day and send out the replacement and I would get it the day after, so turn around was about 2-days. Now, they have some location in TN, and although I understand it now takes longer to ship back and forth from California, it's been over a month and they cannot replace my failed drive! After the 1st week since they received the defective drive, I contacted them to see why they hadn't sent out replacement yet. They got back to me and said they don't have any 3TB HDD to send me! They offered to send me a 4TB Gold (equivalent to what use to be "RAID Edition") and I accepted. Now, weeks later, they are saying they don't have any 4TB Gold drives to send me either! My ZFS pool has been in degraded state since April 11th...

darkconz

Jun 6, 2013
I’ve always did the advance replacement route where they send me a drive first while putting a hold on my credit card.

This way I know I will be getting the drive in a timely manner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I’ve always did the advance replacement route where they send me a drive first while putting a hold on my credit card.

This way I know I will be getting the drive in a timely manner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i didn't know about that option, but it would not have helped me as the drive was failing pretty drastically - lots and lots of errors and escalating.

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
well, after about 5 weeks, I did finally get a 4TB WD Gold replacement drive that appears brand new (not refurbished) as it was manufactured on April 24th, 2018. their RMA inventory must be really really low if they are pulling drives this new...