Western Digital "Easy Recycle" Program Good or Bad?

Sleyk

Mar 25, 2016
Stamford, CT
Just got this email form Western Digital this morning about their new Drive Recycling Program.

What do you guys think? Is this a good or bad thing?

I have a shit-ton of old, used, dead and living drives I could recycle. Is it worth it to send in one drive at a time and snag 5 bucks? :.)

https://shop.westerndigital.com/campaign/landing/easy-recycle?utm_medium=eml1&utm_source=mkto&utm_campaign=easyrecycle&utm_content=recyclehomebanner&utm_term=04-22-2020&mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiTldVME1HSTBaalJpT0dWaCIsInQiOiJPMFE1NXRHYkdYNkhNT1N0UUkwMmVCMUNjZ3I1MzdndDR5OWoxU3pHSDFhTUdlXC9NRko3aUVSV0pDY3lRNTVKbjM1b0oxeU5LZlBlKzlYUHdcL3lRR2MzNzhJSHVxY1dzR3hOV0NCY2dIbVRRbENQRmw4QlFzNDZZT0wydEd4RDVyIn0=

Seems like the shipping labels, and everything is free. Is this some ploy to steal big data? Lol!

But seriously, there are alot of people who don't wipe their drives properly. Heck, even then you can still recover data. Interested to know what you guys think.

Rock

Jan 28, 2020
Northern California
The significant restrictions on use of the coupon make the discount worthless.

$5 discount offer valid only through the Western Digital Store when using applicable coupon code. Maximum of one coupon code per customer per calendar quarter, regardless of number of drives submitted for recycling. The coupon code may not be combined, used in conjunction with or used in addition to any other promotion or offer and does not apply to taxes or shipping costs. Products exclusions: Outlet Store products and recertified products. Retailers, Resellers and Distributors are excluded from this promotion.

Sleyk

Mar 25, 2016
Stamford, CT
The significant restrictions on use of the coupon make the discount worthless.
True. I think if you did decide to do this, you cant care about the coupon. I think this is good, as it will allow people to recycle their used drives for free. I'm looking for downsides, but so far don't see any?

Rock

Jan 28, 2020
Northern California
True. I think if you did decide to do this, you cant care about the coupon. I think this is good, as it will allow people to recycle their used drives for free. I'm looking for downsides, but so far don't see any?
Before recycling a drive I drive a screwdriver through the circuit board and into the platter to guarantee that data recovery becomes too expensive to be worthwhile. And I can drop off up to an office file box full of recyclable electronics each day at my local transfer station so this shipping system is not a benefit. Your access to electronics recycling may cause you to place a different value on this offer from WD.