Western Digital Black^2- 128GB SSD plus 1TB hard drive

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Biren78

Jan 16, 2013
I saw the PR on this one and it looked really neat. Putting both a 1TB drive and a 128GB SSD into a single small form factor is awesome. Imagine what you could do in a 1U short depth twin server with these: $300! Amazon.com: WD Black2 Dual Drive 2.5" 120 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD Kit (WD1001X06XDTL): Computers & Accessories

Anyway. Here's hoping to prices coming down. The 1TB Seagate SSHD is 1/3rd the price at around $100 and a 128GB drive is under $100 so no reason for these to cost over $200 except lack of competition.

Salami

Oct 12, 2012
You have to run a Windows program to enable the 1 TB drive. It says Mac coming soon.

It is also not supported for Windows Server OS's. This product is aimed squarely at laptops with only 1 hard drive bay.

wyluliraven

Nov 6, 2012
Atlanta, GA
The WD Black^2 is nice breath of fresh air in the segment when looking at performance and storage capacity. Sure, going with a large SSD makes more sense, but sometimes you just _need/want_ that extra space.

Will really define the niche that the product belongs to if/when Apple incorporates them as a possible offering, sadly the laptop market has spiraled to that stage.

capn_pineapple

Aug 28, 2013
I'd like to have a play with one, but until they come down in price it's just not worth it. All they've done is put two drives on the one SATA and power connector.

What I'd love to see is a hybrid drive with capacities like this with the proper caching algorithms for a 16/32GB SSD latched onto a 4TB drive. Although this may not be an issue for long seeing how Samsung brought out that 1TB mSATA drive.

Either Way, I can see a drive like this being used in a SFF AIO for non-tech savvy people (like my parents) who always things like say "I need more memory"(shudder), "it's soooo slow" and "I'm not going to shell out $800 for a new box, can't you just install a new processor"(referencing his original macbook air).