Western Digital 5 TB Red External HDD $114.99 after $20 rebate

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TubaMT

Jul 26, 2014
Found this here: 5 TB Western Digital Elements USB 3.0 External Desktop Hard Drive (WDBWLG0050HBK-NESN) - $129.99 AR (or less) + Free Shipping @ TigerDirect.com - Slickdeals.net

Direct link here:
WD Elements 5TB External Desktop Hard Drive - USB 3.0, RoHS Compliant - WDBWLG0050HBK-NESN at TigerDirect.com

Unfortunately, there is a rebate involved and only 1 per househould :'(

Inside are actually 5 TB WD Reds! The serial number on the outside of the case matches the inner hard drive though so I think that instead of the standard 3 year warranty :/ Though I do believe some CC merchants extend HD warranties by another year or 2 (I think Visa, Discover, and American Express do this)

As of now, you can still use this link to sign up for a 10% coupon from Tigerdirect (select existing customer and put your email afterwards):
TigerDirect.com - Create An Account

Also, you could combine this with a cashback site like fatwallet, shopdiscover, or bank of america for a little more back.

I bought one for around $108.24 if the $20 rebate goes through and after discover cash back or around ~$21.65 per TB

I posted this as a WD Red because I'm just going to shuck the external for the WD Red inside. Sorry if it caused any confusion :/

ALSO:
Seagate 4TB External Drive on eBay (great for those with ebay bucks and taking advantage of previous ebay gift card deals) for $99.99: Seagate Expansion 4TB USB 3 0 3 5" Desktop External Hard Drive STEB4000100 | eBay

Last edited:
Reactions: T_Minus

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Ridiculous they rape us $200-220 per-5TB red for internal with less electronics involved!

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
It actually an amazing small for the SATA to USB3 converter. about 1.25 inches square total.
Doesn't work for those of us who use HOT SWAP chassis.

But you're right the USB3-->SATA is very doable, and affordable :)

TubaMT

Jul 26, 2014
Ridiculous they rape us $200-220 per-5TB red for internal with less electronics involved!
Yeah seriously I don't understand how they sell externals for cheaper than internals! Backblaze documents this with their blog saying how they bought a bunch of external drives and shucked them because they were cheaper than the same exact internal drives!

Downside is the warranties are shorter than for the internal drives though :/

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Dude the drive has been shucked. It was out of the box maybe 3 minutes before a plastic tool went at the case.

No Way I am using an external drive when I have internal drive space.
I was stating that SATA To USB adapters don't wrok for ppl with hot swap, but I think we were talking about 2 dsep. thingsd. YOu about the adapter in the ext. case, and me about the adapter for using it as extenral vs hot swap :)

PnoT

Mar 1, 2015
Texas
B&H has these for $129 and no hassle of sending in a rebate. I tried to order 4 but it only gave me 3 @ $129 and the 4th was ~$190 so I just got the 3 and had the wife order the other one.

LINK

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
NO TAX AT B&H EITHER!! Great deal. Its where I spent $200 each for these INTERNAL :( so stupid.

PnoT

Mar 1, 2015
Texas
I just got my drives in and verified all 4 are REDs (WD50EFRX).

It's such a shame they're selling them this low in the externals and not giving us the opportunity to buy them outright for the same price.

TechIsCool

Feb 8, 2012
Clinton, WA
techiscool.com
I just got my drives in and verified all 4 are REDs (WD50EFRX).

It's such a shame they're selling them this low in the externals and not giving us the opportunity to buy them outright for the same price.

I think I would be more irritated if the warrenty was the same. I know its too much but the cost difference is shuck time + warranty