WEPYC ThreadRipper build: FATbild

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

awedio

Feb 24, 2012
Build’s Name: FATbild
Operating System: Fedora 35 Workstation
Storage Platform: NVMe
CPU: AMD Ryzen ThreadRipper PRO 3955WX
GPU: Gigabyte 1080
Motherboard: ASUS Pro WS WRX80E SAGE
Chassis: Fractal Design Define 7 XL Black
Drives: Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVMe
RAM: GSkill 8 x 16GB DDR4 3200
Add-in Cards: Nvidia Mellanox MCX416A-CCAT ConnectX-4 100 gig NIC
Power Supply: Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700
Other Bits:
EKWB EK-RES X3 250 Reservoir, Black
Thermaltake Pacific CL480 64mm radiator
be quiet! Silent Wings 3 120mm PWM fans

Usage Profile:
Desktop

Other information… more to come..................
Upgrading from this: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/nvme-boot-with-supermicro-x9da7-x9dri-f.13245/

Putting the chassis on a diet:
IMG_0922.jpeg

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
We are almost twins! How is installing the board in that case? I have to say it was not my favorite experience.

Reactions: awedio

awedio

Feb 24, 2012
@Patrick Twinzies !!
I haven't gotten that far yet.
Based on your reviews, you said space was really tight!
I'm looking fwd to the install.

awedio

Feb 24, 2012
@Patrick
For your build, what power supply do you have? My Seasonic Fanless 700 cables are too short.
Also, what RAM are you running?

Can't believe I didn't ask you these questions last year!

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I think it is an EVGA 850W P2. The memory is Micron DDR4-3200 RDIMMs 64GB x8

I do remember that I had to play with routing from the PSU just given the distance involved.

Reactions: awedio

edge

Apr 22, 2013
I don't understand reservoirs in cooling loops unless you are doing it for bling, which your colored coolant implies. Regardless, you want the top intake for your reservoir to be the highest point in the loop: that way the only place air will collect in your loop is at the top of the reservoir an the intake tube for it. I don't see an external quick connect drain tube out the bottom of the server and I don't see a top air quick connect. WC requires maintenance: top air is so you can drain from the bottom. You also need the top air so you can fill from the bottom.

But that is what I see but I don't see everything. How are you expecting to flush the coolant every 6 months without too much hassle? If you know a better solution than what I suggest, please let me know - I am about to build a 3 node LC cluster and anyway to keep it simpler and easier to manage would be music to my ears.

awedio

Feb 24, 2012
I don't understand reservoirs in cooling loops unless you are doing it for bling, which your colored coolant implies. Regardless, you want the top intake for your reservoir to be the highest point in the loop: that way the only place air will collect in your loop is at the top of the reservoir an the intake tube for it. I don't see an external quick connect drain tube out the bottom of the server and I don't see a top air quick connect. WC requires maintenance: top air is so you can drain from the bottom. You also need the top air so you can fill from the bottom.

But that is what I see but I don't see everything. How are you expecting to flush the coolant every 6 months without too much hassle? If you know a better solution than what I suggest, please let me know - I am about to build a 3 node LC cluster and anyway to keep it simpler and easier to manage would be music to my ears.
I kinda just built this how I wanted, I didn't really spend much time laying out the whole project!
/9/ of the pdf says "Top port should only be used to connect this reservoir with external fill port!"
Screenshot from 2022-01-24 18-32-06.png

edge

Apr 22, 2013
I kinda just built this how I wanted, I didn't really spend much time laying out the whole project!
/9/ of the pdf says "Top port should only be used to connect this reservoir with external fill port!"
View attachment 21308
Thank you for the reply. With a top port on the reservoir it serves as what I call a top air tube. I question how you get the air out of the loop if you fill from the top - if fluid is coming in from the top how does the air egress?
Just doesn't seem optimal.

awedio

Feb 24, 2012
Thank you for the reply. With a top port on the reservoir it serves as what I call a top air tube. I question how you get the air out of the loop if you fill from the top - if fluid is coming in from the top how does the air egress?
Just doesn't seem optimal.
I thought getting air out of the loop is a one time operation?

edge

Apr 22, 2013
I thought getting air out of the loop is a one time operation?
You have to replace the coolant every six months, or at least once a year. My experience is biocides are not 100% effective especially if they are not replaced.

Minamally, maintenance consists of draining, flushing, and refilling the loop with fresh coolant at least once a year. I expect others here to share their experience.

quixotheque

Feb 6, 2022
Can you write down a few words about the performance of the build -did you benchmark ti? Any bugs with the OS or drivers?

PS: I like how you went with beQuiet fans, I wonder if there are any other better fans out there.

awedio

Feb 24, 2012
Can you write down a few words about the performance of the build -did you benchmark ti? Any bugs with the OS or drivers?

PS: I like how you went with beQuiet fans, I wonder if there are any other better fans out there.
No benchmarks yet (see next answer).

I decided to run KDE Plasma 5.24 (Fedora version)....talk about chasing your tail. (see link below).
I really like this KDE Plasma desktop.

Finally got it all figured but X11 only as Wayland does not work.

awedio

Feb 24, 2012

Maybe @Patrick can chime in, he owns a similar system?