Welp...Halfway to Gigabit Fiber?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
So I upgraded my FIOS 150/150 connection to FIOS Gigabit yesterday (only $23 more per month? Ummm, yes please!). They said it would take a few days for the speed change to kick in but I didn't expect this in the meantime haha.
In theory, 1000/1000 FiOS is always provisioned on an empty passive splitter/combiner, since the total backhaul capacity is only a little over 1000 per strand. Around here, even 500/500 is provisioned on an empty splitter. But I've had FiOS tell customers that 500/500 wasn't available, only 1000/1000. I guess they want to get the maximum revenue out of that strand of fiber...

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
Nice ... I've got pfSense running on a Jetway with an i7-3600qm and I only get 250Mbps on my 1 Gb connection. I also have a 2758 pfSense branded SuperMicro server I was thinking of replacing that with - sound like it will dramatically improve performance.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Nice ... I've got pfSense running on a Jetway with an i7-3600qm and I only get 250Mbps on my 1 Gb connection. I also have a 2758 pfSense branded SuperMicro server I was thinking of replacing that with - sound like it will dramatically improve performance.
Definitely. I just tested a close to fully saturating DL (95MB/s) and my CPU usage didn't go above 23%. Conversely, I tested the same DL through my VPN Gateway Group (3 VPN client connects to PIA grouped together) and while I only could get 30MB/s DL speed (clearly the VPN limiting me), my CPU usage was only at 30%. So I can surmise that I should be able to get close to full line speed of ENCRYPTED throughput with this CPU.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Lucky :p:p

Wish I could afford to go 1g or 10g for that matter, ha ha :) :)
You're lucky too.

I have a site out in the middle of the Mojave Desert. There is no cell phone service, landlines cannot provide DSL (the CO is over 50 miles away and the 14 phones lines in town don't justify any sort of concentrator, just a channel bank) and even power is unreliable. The best (only!) Internet service available is 5/1Mbit and that is on a microwave link across the mountains to Pahrump. You don't even want to ask how much this costs per month. :eek:

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
You're lucky too.

I have a site out in the middle of the Mojave Desert. There is no cell phone service, landlines cannot provide DSL (the CO is over 50 miles away and the 14 phones lines in town don't justify any sort of concentrator, just a channel bank) and even power is unreliable. The best (only!) Internet service available is 5/1Mbit and that is on a microwave link across the mountains to Pahrump. You don't even want to ask how much this costs per month. :eek:
Satilite ? I know Australia launched a few with largely the aim of internet coverage but they do seem to do a pretty good job, better than that microwave link by the sounds (I am surprised you can’t 100/100 p2p microwave, how many stations does it pass through ?)

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Satilite ? I know Australia launched a few with largely the aim of internet coverage but they do seem to do a pretty good job, better than that microwave link by the sounds
Satellite has too much latency (500ms+) if you're bouncing off geosynchronous birds. A few plans have been floated for LEO systems (750 miles is often mentioned; GS is about 22,000 miles) but none have "gotten off the ground" :p yet that I know of. That's a killer when you're trying to do VoIP.
(I am surprised you can’t 100/100 p2p microwave, how many stations does it pass through ?)
That is an interesting question, and unless I'm going to go hiking through some very mountainous backcountry or charter a helicopter, I won't know for certain. I know that in addition to the station that the local service terminates on, the next station is on top of a mountain around 10 miles away. These are tiny, bare-minimum setups (this is a repeater, not the terminal station):

I assume they're using obsolete equipment purchased surplus when larger companies upgraded. For all I know, they're using DS2-over-microwave (6.312Mbit/sec).

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Satellite is not great for VOIP your right but can be hopefully handled by GSM/LTE

Probably right about the old stuff, may also be regulatory issues with regards to transmit power that is dictating the speeds.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Satellite is not great for VOIP your right but can be hopefully handled by GSM/LTE
No cell phone service from any provider. Occasionally a wisp of signal (worse than -120dBm) might drift past, but that just provides a tantalizing snippet of carrier info - it isn't enough for the phone to even bother trying to place a call, let alone try to do 3G/4G data.
Probably right about the old stuff, may also be regulatory issues with regards to transmit power that is dictating the speeds.
Could be. With the number of military bases in the area and Goldstone Deep Space Communications Complex as well, they probably don't want any stray signals.