Welcome to the Intel Ice Lake D Era with the Xeon D-2700 and D-1700 series

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
So far it is up a bit, but two items:
  1. Still early firmware
  2. Combined, it is much less than adding an extra 25GbE NIC for example.

Ralph_IT

I'm called Ralph
Apr 12, 2021
/home
Interesting platform, indeed!
SM has updated his portfolio with a lot of new boards.
AsrockRack has done it, too, but as of now only two boards (D-1700).
By the way, good video, @Patrick !

Reactions: Patrick

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Where is the link to the SM and Asrock boards ?

am I right in saying they support max 64gb RDIMM but also then 128gb LRDIMM to hit the suggested numbers ? Or would it be 256gh rdimm for the d-2700’s only since Intel says 1TB support

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Cool, I like the fact the Asrock boards have gone for maximum memory options because d-1700 and 6x64gb gives a nice size of 384gb

seems to be some goodies there that will be nice, 25G is really nice. I have a feeling but the first EU prices they won’t be at all cheap , so much so the D-2100 could look cheap :-O

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
Any word on pricing? Intel’s ARK site does not have pricing listed for any of the D-1700/D-2700 parts.

I’m also interested in board pricing from Supermicro if anyone has something that can be shared.

XeonLab

Aug 14, 2016
...I have a feeling but the first EU prices they won’t be at all cheap , so much so the D-2100 could look cheap :-O ...
Any word on pricing? Intel’s ARK site does not have pricing listed for any of the D-1700/D-2700 parts.

I’m also interested in board pricing from Supermicro if anyone has something that can be shared.
Supermicro MBD-X12SDV-20C-SPT8F-B.png

Well...considering the current market where bread-and-butter "big socket" Xeon boards are starting from 400 Euros, a Intel 10nm embedded board literally loaded with top-notch I/O won't definitely come cheap. Especially when that 10nm process still seems anything but robust and optimized. Or has someone seen any low-margin, socket-filler Ice Lake Bronzes anywhere?

Supermicro MBD-X12SDV-20C-SPT8F-B [NR]Embedded Flex ATX 7.5 inch x8.5 inch, ICX-DHCCSoC,1xPCIe Bulk (I'm not related in any way, just had a quick search.)

Reactions: etorix and Ralph_IT

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Yeah that’s the prices I saw, over T1 EUR for a 4-core.
I also noticed the ASRock boards use the old AST2500 instead of the newer AST2600, I guess it’s not really a problem but the more power efficient newer version would have been nice to have in 2022.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Just having a quick look at some of the board designs I really do see this cpu used heavily for network appliances as I mentioned before but let’s see if Cisco release now quickly some long delayed hardware.

The other place I see a lot of use would be for things like Ceph nodes and that kind or storage. Network and some PCIe4 NVMe , these days don’t need a lot of lanes as the small appliances are using on a smaller number of larger ssd’s but also plenty of sata ports if spinning things are used.

Ralph_IT

I'm called Ralph
Apr 12, 2021
/home
A search for "X12SDV" shows this on Ahead-it.eu.
Just a quick heads-up: All those boards carry D-2700. Prices for D-1700 will be lower (I hope)

Edit: More prices, but in Swedish Krona.
Xeon D-1700 and Xeon D-2700
The cheapest board is about 875€ without VAT

Last edited:
Reactions: etorix and Aluminat

XeonLab

Aug 14, 2016
Just having a quick look at some of the board designs I really do see this cpu used heavily for network appliances as I mentioned before but let’s see if Cisco release now quickly some long delayed hardware.

The other place I see a lot of use would be for things like Ceph nodes and that kind or storage. Network and some PCIe4 NVMe , these days don’t need a lot of lanes as the small appliances are using on a smaller number of larger ssd’s but also plenty of sata ports if spinning things are used.
One thing what surprises me is the timing, as the platform is marketed as long-life for edge, why not push back release a bit and go straight for Golden Cove / DDR5 platform, like they did with original Xeon D by releasing it before Broadwell-EP? Maybe they feel going DDR5 is just too risky or the 10nm process sucks big time...

A search for "X12SDV" shows this on Ahead-it.eu.
Just a quick heads-up: All those boards carry D-2700. Prices for D-1700 will be lower (I hope)

Edit: More prices, but in Swedish Krona.
Xeon D-1700 and Xeon D-2700
The cheapest board is about 875€ without VAT
That would bode reasonably well for a poverty-spec 2C/4C board without 25 GbE, could they push it under 400 Euros?