Welcome to the Cryptocurrency Mining and Markets Forum

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cliffr

Apr 2, 2017
Cryptocurrency mining has been a huge topic at STH for some time with around 60,000 pulls to our crypto mining docker containers https://hub.docker.com/u/servethehome/ as of May 2017.

Many STH readers have excess CPU and GPU compute, and cryptomining is a way to use those spare cycles and offset costs.

It's time to make a dedicated discussion forum for crypto mining.

I am going to be one of the moderators to the forum based on @Patrick's prodding and until he finds another moderator. I help run the STH crypto mining in the lab behind the scenes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Thank you Cliff. I appreciate you stepping up on this one.

onsit

Jan 5, 2018
I would like a subform to discuss mining benchmarks, setups, and creative systems for mining other than mining (system provisioning, chef to manage nodes, proxying).

A more combed and focused subforum could lead to easier to find information.

Reactions: marcoi

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
I would like a subform to discuss mining benchmarks, setups, and creative systems for mining other than mining (system provisioning, chef to manage nodes, proxying).

A more combed and focused subforum could lead to easier to find information.
Hard to say if that would make much difference. The best info seems to come out of threads where a good conversation gets going. Usually someone asks a question and it goes from there. The main problem with those is the best info gets buried in very long threads.

So information does get buried no doubt. That said, there aren't a huge number of threads in this subforum already. If there were threads specific to the topics you've mentioned, they should still be easy enough to find. Shouldn't be too cluttered.

On the other hand, having a couple subforums dedicated to those broad topics may encourage more of that type of information to be shared. I'd be good with giving it a try if the forum admins agreed.

I might propose three:

mining hardware
mining software
mining systems administration

I'm on the fence on the idea. What do other people think?

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
IMO, good forum as is. It'll need more discussion to warrant more forums. Perhaps tags?

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
IMO, good forum as is. It'll need more discussion to warrant more forums. Perhaps tags?
Tags could make sense. then I still only have to check one forum.

Worth keeping in mind that there are many other subforums on STH already, that serve largely the same purpose discussed. Personally, I don't check them as I don't really want to ping pong to too many subforums.

How might tagging work? It might be kind of cool to have a thread title prepended with [hardware], [software], or [sysadmin], depending if someone picked one of those as the category when they submitted the thread.

annapnehherr

May 9, 2020
Cryptocurrency mining has been a huge topic at STH for some time with around 60,000 pulls to our crypto mining docker containers https://hub.docker.com/u/servethehome ethereum futures exchange as of May 2017.

Many STH readers have excess CPU and GPU compute, and cryptomining is a way to use those spare cycles and offset costs.

It's time to make a dedicated discussion forum for crypto mining.

I am going to be one of the moderators to the forum based on @Patrick's prodding and until he finds another moderator. I help run the STH crypto mining in the lab behind the scenes.
Is it still available?