Weird issue accessing OpenIndiana from a Windows 7 box

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

coolrunnings82

Mar 26, 2012
SOLVED! Weird issue accessing OpenIndiana from a Windows 7 box

I have about 10 computers running around my house and my main file server runs OpenIndiana in an All-In-One. The computers here are a mixture of Windows 7 and Windows XP. For some reason, my main Windows 7 Pro box stopped being able to access shares on the AIO the other day and I can't figure out why. I can browse to the server just fine but when I try to access my shares on it, it takes a very long time, then times out with this error:
<SERVER> is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The specified network name is no longer available.
Here's what I've tried/verified:
  • ACL is set for allow all and guest access on.
  • All other computers in the house have full access to the server with no issues.
  • The problem computer can access another OpenIndiana server I have with no problems.
  • Created a new user account on problem box - problem remains.
  • Tried safe mode with networking.
  • Removed antivirus (NAV2012) > Same issue
  • Tried accessing shares on other computers on the network > No problem
  • Checked IP > DHCP
  • Checked for third party firewall software > None
  • Turned off Windows Firewall > Same issue.
  • Created a new share on the OpenIndiana box and set permissions for full control including guest access > Can browse to it but copying files is a bit slow.
  • Scrubbed Zpool > No problems detected.
  • Tried accessing by IP address > Same behavior

I am at a loss. Any ideas?

Last edited:

coolrunnings82

Mar 26, 2012
Solved my problem! Found out the NIC in my box had a funky setting of 4096 for jumbo frames! Turned off Jumbo Frames and it works perfectly.