Weird CPU heatsink mating surface

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zhoulander

Feb 1, 2016
What's the deal with this heatsink base? Are the grooves to accommodate excessive factory applied thermal paste? I have two other heatsinks from the same seller that have normal smooth finishes like you'd expect on a CPU heatsink.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
what did these come out of? i've seen micro-grooved surfaces but not one like this usually i polish heatsinks to a mirror finish if i have time

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
That is even more odd than the S604 boxen that had no thermal paste on them.

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
My Natex bundle heatsinks are the same, but I removed them to use the Intel tall passive ones for the P4000M

zhoulander

Feb 1, 2016
is it this model? Passive Copper Heat Sink for LGA2011

also i wonder if i see a heatpipe in your picture? perhaps they're direct contact pads for the pipe...
My heatsinks came with the motherboard, but I think it's safe to say that link will get you this type of heatsink or the normal one (pic below). I think it does use a vapour chamber.

Here is my normal set that came in the same order. Very happy I waited for the CPU socket protectors, since there is a lot of gunk that would have probably ended up in the LGA pins.

EDIT: looks like a Dynatron R15 Dynatron Corporation - the leading manufacturer of CPU cooling products.

Last edited: