Weird 600GB drive (SOLVED)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

JarVarKar

Sep 10, 2022
Hello!

I have purchased a bunch of 600gb drives. All but one show up with 600.13GB. One of them shows up with 600GB only.
faildisk.png
The weird thing is that the disk itself is labeled like all the other ones on the sticker.
stickerdisk.jpg

As you can read on the sticker it is an CSS600 not an CLAR600. CSS600 is the same model as my other drives.

This one is 1 only month newer (the other disks are from october 2014) so i dont really understand why there would be such a difference.

Is there some weird firmware on this drive? Is it just a newer revision where they cheaped out on space? Can i "fix" it so i can use it in raid?

aero

Apr 27, 2016
You can still use them together in a raid array, it will just treat all disks as the size of the smallest device.

JarVarKar

Sep 10, 2022
You can still use them together in a raid array, it will just treat all disks as the size of the smallest device.
Does not work when creating an zfs pool in proxmox. I will google around to see if theres any way around it.

aero

Apr 27, 2016
Does not work when creating an zfs pool in proxmox. I will google around to see if theres any way around it.
I don't know about proxmox specifically, but it's possible with hardware raid cards, linux md raid, and zfs mirror vdevs. In some of these cases it does warn you about the disparity, and you have to give a flag to force it.

Reactions: JarVarKar

JarVarKar

Sep 10, 2022
I don't know about proxmox specifically, but it's possible with hardware raid cards, linux md raid, and zfs mirror vdevs. In some of these cases it does warn you about the disparity, and you have to give a flag to force it.
Thank you i googled around and used the -f flag to force a zfs pool