Weekend thought

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I managed to install a Z-Wave enabled Yale Residential - Real Living Touchscreen Lock today. Here's a link: Touchscreen Deadbolt - Deadbolt Lock

Here's the unit on Amazon ($247 right now) Yale YRD220-ZW-619 Real Living Electronic Touch Screen Deadbolt, Fully Motorized with Z-Wave Technology, Satin Nickel - Amazon.com

Super cool! For anyone wondering, yes, it does speak to you. Also, the batteries (no name brand) that came with the lock did not work. That is probably my biggest fear but there is a low battery light and there are keys as backups.

Here's a question, should we have a gadget or home automation section? It seems like we have a decent amount of folks with at least IP cameras. Also, I would be willing to bet that people who have servers at home also are higher up on the home automation curve whether that is with cameras, video streaming or items like this Yale lock.

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
I think adding one right now might be a lil premature, but if we wanted to do some home automation articles, then it might make sense.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I'd contribute to a gadgets forum. I have quite a few - and some ideas with no time to pursue. For example, I'd love to couple a lock like yours with facial recognition on my IP cams. Unlock the door for friends. Lock it tight when the daughter's prospective boyfriend walks up.. :)

awedio

Feb 24, 2012
Here's a question, should we have a gadget or home automation section? It seems like we have a decent amount of folks with at least IP cameras. Also, I would be willing to bet that people who have servers at home also are higher up on the home automation curve whether that is with cameras, video streaming or items like this Yale lock.
Would it be just home automation or all things AV/IT (Audio/Video, IT-as it relates, IP Surveillance-no stinkin' D1 analog cams & any other relevant gadgets)?

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
I have IP cameras, computer-controlled sprinklers, whole-house music, touchscreen-controlled lights, voice recognition, a web GUI for the house, software-controlled HVAC, and lots more. I'm guessing that I'm not alone and that the STH target audience has quite a bit of overlap with the home automation audience.

Last edited:

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
I have IP cameras, computer-controlled sprinklers, whole-house music, touchscreen-controlled lights, voice recognition, a web GUI for the house, software-controlled HVAC, and lots more. I'm guessing that I'm not alone and the STH target audience has quite a bit of overlap with the home automation audience.
From your lab pics, I'm guessing you have a VMotion or something VM running it all too!

Seriously though, I'm with nitro. Do a few reviews, then let's start this. I may even be able to contribute a review.

LeoS

Jun 19, 2013
I'm interested in home automation topic too.

I've wired up HomeSeer (home automation server) to my lighting, aircons, ceiling fans, wireless door locks, ip cameras, bunch of motion sensor and door/window sensors for triggers, a dozen temp/humidity sensors, connected home theater and still just halfway through my installation...

mmmmmdonuts

Mar 22, 2012
I am interested in this as well. I am closing on a house this week and already thinking how to start doing home automation.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Like I've said before, ServeTheHome should be more home automation and home server focused. You de-valued the name when you started doing stuff like 2-way servers.

Time for a split to happen IMNSHO.

I am really interested in this. Seems like you have some community support.

LeoS

Jun 19, 2013
I am interested in this as well. I am closing on a house this week and already thinking how to start doing home automation.
Perfect timing :)

At this point you'll need to consider the wiring for all the components that you're going to install. Yes, most are available in wireless version, but they're generally more expensive, needs regular battery replacement and are prone to less than 100% reliability due to interference, range and whatnot.

And you certainly can't have enough LAN cables :) Have direct line for each IP cameras and SIP phones to a PoE switch so you can run a UPS to a single switch for operation during blackouts. They can be used for so many other types of devices too (hdmi over cat5 (not ip), usb over cat5/ip, alarm, etc).

Other cabling to consider: microphone and audio lines (for voice control, centralized music and system announcements), alarm wiring (they can be used as sensors to trigger automation events)..

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
PoE cameras are awesome, once you get just one you then get obsessed with more coverage.

mmmmmdonuts

Mar 22, 2012
Perfect timing :)

At this point you'll need to consider the wiring for all the components that you're going to install. Yes, most are available in wireless version, but they're generally more expensive, needs regular battery replacement and are prone to less than 100% reliability due to interference, range and whatnot.

And you certainly can't have enough LAN cables :) Have direct line for each IP cameras and SIP phones to a PoE switch so you can run a UPS to a single switch for operation during blackouts. They can be used for so many other types of devices too (hdmi over cat5 (not ip), usb over cat5/ip, alarm, etc).

Other cabling to consider: microphone and audio lines (for voice control, centralized music and system announcements), alarm wiring (they can be used as sensors to trigger automation events)..
I know I won't get to it right away, but do you have any switch recommendations or any other controls ideas especially for home audio or outdoor cameras which would be the first thing I get.

I saw this Amazon.com: TRENDnet 8-Port Gigabit GREENnet PoE+ Switch (TPE-TG80g): Computers & Accessories.

I am not afraid of programming or microcontrollers as I deal with them constantly at work for any homemade type of stuff.

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
I know I won't get to it right away, but do you have any switch recommendations or any other controls ideas especially for home audio or outdoor cameras which would be the first thing I get.

I saw this Amazon.com: TRENDnet 8-Port Gigabit GREENnet PoE+ Switch (TPE-TG80g): Computers & Accessories.

I am not afraid of programming or microcontrollers as I deal with them constantly at work for any homemade type of stuff.
When you look at POE switches, make note of how many total watts they are able to deliver to POE ports, and of how many watts your cameras require. Some switches are only able to drive a few of their POE ports to the rated wattage and you might end up with an eight port switch that can only power three of your cameras.

LeoS

Jun 19, 2013

Oh, I have limited experience with switches and I haven't spent much time reading about them online.

I use Cisco (linksys) SG-300-28P switch as my current backbone and it's pretty solid so far (just around 1 year). Only running about 20 active devices and it reports each port's PoE power usage individually. I also use a 48 ports L2 PoE switch by Nortel (discontinued) that goes for around $300ish on Ebay for my ip cameras (Mobotix). I also have some 8 ports PoE Zyxels that worked well in the past (used for half a year then replaced, now I use them for test\backup.)

I use Mobotix cameras (indoor and outdoor) and they're pretty bulletproof with a very comfortable life expectancy of at least 5 years, because they provide hemispheric (360') coverage with no moving parts. They also don't need a DVR\image processing server since each of them can perform the calculation and triggering individually, so I just need to supply it with a NAS (freenas and synology). It has capability to trigger relay (automated door, react to doorbells, etc) and SIP server/client to integrate with IP phones. Those are just some of the reasons I justified their bleeping price.