WD80EDAZ-11TA3A0 (Easystore shucks) Feedback from anyone using these?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Anyone been using these? What's been your experience? Google didn't return any recent useful commentary on these, so thought I'd ask here.

I found some initial speculation when these, and the 10TB EDAZ models started showing up in Easystores (for example https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...nged-the-drives-in-elements-enclosures.29150/ ). At the time, some people said they ran hot. But I couldn't find any recent feedback from anyone who'd been using them for any length of time.

My local Best Buy tells me the Easystore WDBCKA0080HBK-NESN, a helium WD80EZAZ in mine purchased last fall, is out of stock everywhere and they don't think they'll get any more. Instead they're selling WDBAMA0080HBK-NESN, which retails for $20 less at $179. I got one last week on sale. And while it looks the same on the outside of course, inside is the aforementioned WD80EDAZ. It the model number holds true to WD's naming scheme, this is an "Enterprise Self Encrypting Drive (SED)/WD Re", and is air not helium.

Which brings up a final question: Can i mix this SED drive and non-SED (WD80EZAZ) in an array? I'm reworking the box this is going in and planned a simple 2 disk mirror. I suppose I can always go with frequent rsync if RAID1 (hardware of mdadm) isn't advisable. At this point I'm flexible, and it might be easier to just return it.