WD4001FYYG 4TB SAS 7.2K $99 FS

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

hd2012

Jan 18, 2014
it's already a good price. warranty is 5 years, assuming retail .. but usually these are likely oem pulls .. so assume no warranty.

Last edited:

andrewbedia

Jan 11, 2013
Haggling down on an already good deal almost always results in someone else taking the seller up on the good deal. Happened to me when someone was selling a mountain of 4TB Enterprise Toshiba SATA drives for $80 a piece. Should have just paid the price and gotten the 4 drives I wanted at full price. Instead I got stuck only being able to buy one at $80 because I tried to haggle even lower.

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
It's a good price but I'm not that excited about it. I doubt these are OEM drives but the warranty is likely close to only having 2 remaining years. Most of my spinners from fleabay are 2 TB enterprise drives where I always check the pics for the manufacturing date, all purchased for 40-45 bucks, with roughly 4 years remaining on the warranties of each and verified. I would say for these 90-100 honestly should be a normal price, but I realize that the cost of mechanical storage doesn't scale linearly with the amount of storage...Seller did counter me at 85 if anyone is wondering but I lost interest after seeing the disks were made in 2012.

andrewbedia

Jan 11, 2013
I've got 4 caviar black 1TB drives that have been run pretty hard 24/7 for ~5 years in a raid and never had one die on me. Have had numerous 2TB caviar black drives and now (bought them months ago) some 4TB RE SAS drives and have never had them die. All 24/7, all have lived a hard life. Manufacturing date/warranty length wouldn't really stop me on these.

I would however, do a 4 pass (write/verify X4) badblocks run on them, but I do that anyway. Usually that weeds out flaky drives.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Dammit, my one day I took off from 'stalkng' the site and I missed out. Ohh well ALWAYS another deal arnd the corner!