EXPIRED WD Ultrastar 18TB SAS at $367

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Nice! Sounds like they're just used pulls as they're 'seller refurbished' and only have a 90-day warranty, but these are the real sas enterprise deal and not some easystore drives so they should last. Only 19 of them in stock as I type this (and I expect them to be gone in 2hrs, lol).

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
@Samir ;)
Gotta watch stock levels
I expected these to pretty much be gone by now since a deal on 16TB sas is at this price. :oops:

What's really surprised me is how much even 16TB drives are now when I picked mine up many moons ago for less than they're selling today. It's almost as if all the old junk I have right now could be sold for a healthy 20% profit. :oops:

Reactions: itronin

JediAcolyte

May 29, 2020
US
@Samir That sounds like a good plan. It might not be as profitable as picking up GPUs for MSRP at Best Buy, but... make a buck where you can
;)

Reactions: Samir

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
@Samir That sounds like a good plan. It might not be as profitable as picking up GPUs for MSRP at Best Buy, but... make a buck where you can
;)
The problem is that I still use all this stuff so it's only junk to others. :D That and the fact that every time I sell something I need it a week later...o_O

cgiGeek

Mar 21, 2021
I never understood why they say refurb, besides format and or replace a PCB board, dont think any third party vendor can actually refurb a drive.
Proof me wrong pls !

msg7086

May 2, 2017
You guys love WD 18TB SAS at $367 but no one's interested in Seagate Exos 16TB SAS at $255?

I never understood why they say refurb, besides format and or replace a PCB board, dont think any third party vendor can actually refurb a drive.
Proof me wrong pls !
What do you mean in terms of the word "refurbish"? Unless those hard drives are dead, there's nothing to replace. Wiping the drive surface (physically) would count as "refurbish".

Reactions: Aluminat

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Wiping the drive surface (physically) would count as "refurbish".
It depends on what one defines as refurbished. My own personal definition is 'restored to like new condition with some cosmetic wear and tear'--you literally can't do this with a hard drive as you can't turn back the poh to zero (at least not without being a scammer). So the only truly 'refurbished' drives out there to me come from the manufacturer--everything else is just used in various grades of windows dressing.

msg7086

May 2, 2017
So the only truly 'refurbished' drives out there to me come from the manufacturer
What's manufacturers gonna do? The only thing they can do is to wipe SMART POH to zero and then repack the drive in an ESD bag. Oh, and engrave "recertified" on the disk.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
What's manufacturers gonna do? The only thing they can do is to wipe SMART POH to zero and then repack the drive in an ESD bag. Oh, and engrave "recertified" on the disk.
They generally will do more than that as they will stand behind it with a warranty. Generally, they've gone through the same qc as a new drive and passed.

msg7086

May 2, 2017
I don't think they do much more than wiping full disk (effectively). A full wipe and verify would effectively test all the stuff.

bilbo1337

Sep 18, 2020
Florida
The manufacturer has tools to repair drives. Third party sellers really can't afford these repair tools, it's extremely expensive. When it comes to third party sellers, their reputation is what mostly matters.

cgiGeek

Mar 21, 2021
"The manufacturer has tools to repair drives. Third party sellers really can't afford these repair tools, it's extremely expensive. When it comes to third party sellers, their reputation is what mostly matters."

I took a few data recovery certs back in the day, there are tools to get the data and null some sectors, but thats about it

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
There's a couple of good data recovery forums where people know exactly how to do certain swaps like heads to platters and boards, but it's as tedious as some of the bios modding impi stuff that we discuss here. :eek: No way a reseller has got that type of time.