1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WD Sentinel RX4100 - Thoughts

Discussion in 'NAS Systems and Networked Home and SMB Software' started by Patrick, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

Recently I picked up a 1U WD Sentinel RX4100 with 4x 4TB WD Se drives. The server itself seems to be based on an Intel Atom D525 with 4GB RAM and has a Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 sticker attached.

Despite the fact that the box is large, it only houses 4x 4TB drives and dual 1GbE ethernet. I had a look inside and there is a single 4GB SODIMM and no PCIe expansion slots. Lots of non-standard form factors involved.

Here is the question: what should I do with the box?

• Option 1: Use it as a backup server in Fremont or Sunnyvale just to hold images for a PXE boot server.
    • Option 2: Use the drives elsewhere. Sell the chassis.
    • Option 3: Sell the whole thing.

On Option 1 - I do have "enough" backup capacity but I am not sure I want to use Windows Storage Server versus something like FreeNAS. I also somewhat want to have 10Gb networking everywhere now.

Thoughts appreciated. If someone wants a look inside, happy to take and post pics.

2. cthulolz

cthulolz Member

I found some pictures of the inside, and if I was looking at the correct model, there's a ton of empty space in that unit. That said, I'll toss my off-the-wall suggestion in the ring. Configure it as an iSCSI target. Then, retrofit a small switch and several NUC boards into the free space. BOOM, low(ish) power 1u compute + storage box.

3. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

There is a lot of room, and easily enough for a few NUCs. Great idea. Power is, well interesting to say the least. Not really sure if I have a use for a small cluster like this right now.

4. archangel.dmitry

Keep the drives, get rid of the chassis. If the drives don't have retail warranty, get rid of them too.

5. JeffroMart

JeffroMart Member

Get rid of the whole thing, sounds like junk

Quasduco and FMA1394 like this.
  6. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

Thinking about this rather strongly now.

7. cperalt1

cperalt1 Active Member

Just add it to your FS thread as is.

8. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

I think the drives may be worth more than the server.

FMA1394 likes this.
  9. FMA1394

FMA1394 Active Member

Absolutely agree.

Most of these chassis that are similar in form and fit are garbage, at least in my opinion. A lot of money spent for not a lot of return. Last time I used something like this was a 1U Lacie... thing... that had 4x500GB drives in it. It was extremely slow and extremely expensive.

10. Naeblis

Naeblis Active Member

Sell HDDs & Donate the Chassis to the local HS computer club for the tax write off

11. TType85

TType85 Active Member

If it performs anything like the Sentinel DX4000 (atom based, 4 drive, small box). Trash it. I have one of these sitting around, it has USB3 but copying off of it would cause it to slow to a crawl or even crash. I pulled the drives and put it in the recycle pile.

12. Diavuno

Diavuno Active Member

Patrick,

If you decided to junk it, you can toss it in the back of my truck. heck I'll even send you home with the best pie in CA.
    (behind central right?)

13. dstanding

dstanding Member

A bit late to the party here, but it looks like the unit is a modified AIC RSC-1DH. The chassis is design with an EATX board in mind...maybe there's some way of converting it?

14. Pri

Pri Member

I'd use the drives elsewhere and sell the rest.