WD HDD not getting a secure fit in a 5-drive raid/hotswap enclosure?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mrjayviper

Jul 28, 2017
So I recently bought a WD 3TB drive. The drive is meant to be used inside a hotswap.

My problem is that the hotswap where the drive is going to be installed doesn't seemed to provide a secure fit/connection. I would often get ATA errors on something like "FPDMA QUEUED" errors in the Ubuntu system log. The problem may be related to the fact the drive I received is "shroudless" (The latching SATA Cable does not fit snugly when plugged into a WD hard drive)

The previous drive that was installed in the same location has a shroud. And no errors on that one.

As a test, I connected the drive directly to a SATA port and copied around 2TB worth of files to it. No problems at all. The "FPDMA QUEUED" errors I was getting before have disappeared.

I want to continue using the hotswap and hoping there's a fix for this.

Can you please help? Thanks!

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Try putting a wee sliver of very thin tape, something like Kapton would be ideal, on the backside of the disk connector to tighten up the plug fit, don't over do it though or you may bend the pins on the connector :)

Reactions: mrjayviper