WD Gold 16TB 18TB and 20TB Models Inbound Plus EAMR

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Bob T Penguin

Dec 16, 2015
Cliff, all the articles on STH have come along at a great time (for me at least). I needed to replace a 3TB WD Re disk in one of my ZFS arrays so knowing which drive models were SMR has been very helpful. In the end I choose a WD 4TB Gold drive, which I found was CMR technology by using my google-fu skills.
In your article you write "WD is doing a great job calling out the CMR 16TB and 18TB drives" but as far as I can tell WD don't publish the drive technology behind their Gold disks, which I think are the models you're referring to. If I'm correct, and you are referring to WD Gold drives being CMR, please can you tell me where you've found this information, because it doesn't appear to be on the WD site.
Knowing where WD publishes it's drive technology might help others who need to purchase replacement disks for ZFS arrays.
Many thanks
Bob

Bob T Penguin

Dec 16, 2015
Hello Patrick, thanks for confirming the WD Golds are CMR.
How did you find out that piece of information?
As far as I can see on the WD website the WD Gold Product Brief doesn't state the drive technology.
The WD Red Pro product brief does state CMR.
I just want to point out that I'm not sure WD are doing a great job of identifying which drives are CMR or SMR; unless I've missed something obvious on their website. (I found my answer before purchasing here List of WD CMR and SMR hard drives (HDD) )

regards
Bob

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
To me, that is the wrong way to fix the problem. It is good to alert users. The warning needs to happen before the drives are purchased and installed.

Bob - I thought I read it in one of the initial press releases. I also confirmed via e-mail to WD.

Reactions: zack$