WD Black actually a Blue?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

HellDiverUK

Jul 16, 2014
Just got a new WD Black this week. It's a 1TB WD1003FZEX, and I was surprised to find a very light single platter drive with the cheap Blue-style 'stamped tin' top cover, not the heavier 'stainless steel/black insert' cover as is usual on the Black.

It's speed seemed slow on my testing, though I wasn't particularly worried as it was going in as a system drive in a NAS box. The 1TB Black looks physically identical to a 500GB Blue (WD5000AAKX) I have (OEM, came out of an Asus PC).

Seems some folks on various forums have deemed this particular model to be a Blue with a different label and an extra 3 yrs warranty.

WD1003FZEX CAVIAR BLACK poor access time explained... - WD Community
Western Digital 1TB WD1003FZEX poor access time

I'm also thinking I might just use the 500GB Blue, as it's a known quantity with flawless service for 6 months. I don't like paying £60 for an upgraded drive that's no faster than the original, and just uses more power for no performance gain.

I know I've posted two threads about WD drives in a row, and I'm really not bashing WD in any way, I still really like their drives, but some of their marketing tactics recently are getting a bit dodgy.

Reactions: Patrick

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Confirms my practice of buying only >1TB drives for years now.

HellDiverUK

Jul 16, 2014
Buying a 2TB drive when you're only going to need ~200MB of space at any one time is a bit of a waste, though. Shame my stock of 80GB WD 800JB have finally dried up. :(

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Buying a 2TB drive when you're only going to need ~200MB of space at any one time is a bit of a waste, though. Shame my stock of 80GB WD 800JB have finally dried up. :(
For those types of scenarios I often just buy inexpensive SSDs. The Crucial MX100 256GB is $109. While more than 1TB drives, getting less vibration/ power consumption is usually worth the extra $50.

Then again, I now have stacks of SSDs so this may not have been the best plan.

HellDiverUK

Jul 16, 2014
Hmm...I do have some old SSDs lying about, though they're not the most reliable, I just had a Crucial M4 128GB die totally on me, so I'm reluctant to use an even older 64GB one. May be it's time to use that 30GB Kingston I never found a use for? :)