WD 10TB external $160

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
anyone know if these drives will work in a WD My Book Duo Desktop RAID External Hard Drive - USB 3.0 enclosure? I want to replace the two 6TB red drives in it with two 10 TB drives.
From some quick searches, it seems like there is a 20tb version of your 12tb unit, and it looks like its identical so I think it would work quite easily.

Reactions: Sleyk and marcoi

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
Yeah mate, that's a good question, I believe these were specifically made for Best Buy. They are just White labelled Reds. Some people report the 3v pin issue, but if you have a case with a backplane, like a Norco or Supermicro, you should be fine though. Even if wanting to use in an internal PC, just use a molex to sata cable and youre set.

I do believe that these prices are now stale and overdue for a decrease. Especially if you look at how long these hard drives were at these prices.

I suppose Black Friday is probably the best time to see if they will do this.
The 3.3v can be solved nicely with a cheap roll of kapton tape as well, I grabbed an addon roll from amazon for <5$, and its more than enough for dozens of drives.

I’m hoping for a new low of $110 for the 8tb during bf/holidays, the days of xmas deals the first few weeks of december were the best prices the past 2 years at $120/$160 for the 8&10 respectively.

They're available from other retailers, like amazon...
I think the exclusive deal expired after 2 years and WD is selling them direct (either that or somebody bought a bunch and is reselling them on Amazon). The WD elements supposedly have the same drives inside as well and are available in alot of places.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
WD is selling them direct

I had purchased drives from WD store, sometimes WD runs a special sale.
WD store had lower price than this deal.

Now, I am holding out a better deal , since I have 12 drives sitting in a box.

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX