Wasmachineman's Water Cooling Adventures

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
Either way, you want to spend a lot of money obviously. The AQ parts are high quality. I would feel better with that choice.
I saw the Leakshield video, interesting gimmick, piece of mind for beginner water coolers I guess.
If you put your loop together with quality parts and observation to detail, such remedies are not needed.

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
Either way, you want to spend a lot of money obviously. The AQ parts are high quality. I would feel better with that choice.
I saw the Leakshield video, interesting gimmick, piece of mind for beginner water coolers I guess.
If you put your loop together with quality parts and observation to detail, such remedies are not needed.
Come think of it, leakshield isn't really needed either. I guess i'll be going with the Ultitube D5 Pro with the D5 Next pump. Wish the Ultitube Pro didn't have RGB though, as it adds nothing but cost for someone who has a closed case that's sitting on the floor.

Last edited:

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
I think that RGB has been a plague upon the DIY enthusiast communities. No useful function. Doesn't create greater performance.
I avoid it at all costs.

Reactions: zunder1990

Ralph_IT

I'm called Ralph
Apr 12, 2021
/home
Come think of it, leakshield isn't really needed either. I guess i'll be going with the Ultitube D5 Pro with the D5 Next pump. Wish the Ultitube Pro didn't have RGB though, as it adds nothing but cost for someone who has a closed case that's sitting on the floor.
You can buy a WaterCool HeatKiller Tube.
No RGB, well finished and you can also add your D5 Pump.

...I saw the Leakshield video, interesting gimmick, piece of mind for beginner water coolers I guess.
I bought a MPS 40 Pressure Sensor for my first (and only to date) loop, which acts as fill sensor in my AquaAero.
As you say, peace of mind for us beginners.

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
Whatever fits best. More volume however equates to higher thermal mass. That means the loop will take longer to equilibrate and offer lower temps for a longer period of time until reaching thermal equilibration. Lower temps means higher clocks for the components in the loop.

Ralph_IT

I'm called Ralph
Apr 12, 2021
/home
What height tube should I get, 100mm or 150mm?
My 0.02$: Plan twice, measure thrice, so you need only to build once.
I've miscalculated the available free space on my R6 and my loop barely fits inside.
Even thought of purchase a R7XL and redo the loop, but I'm not in the mood to do it.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Decided to **** it at this point, getting tired of my RX480 Nitro's terrible heatsink. Open loop in my main system it is. TechN AM4 block ordered!

Last edited:

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
The clusterfuck continues. I got my Eisstation VPP in the mail at last.

Still getting pretty garbage temperatures for some reason, how do I bleed my loop properly?

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Found the source of my shit temps: the EKWB Crosshair VII monoblock is total garbage and has horrible CPU contact. DO NOT BUY.

I'm done with water cooling. I lost my interest for now.

Last edited:

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
Found the source of my shit temps: the EKWB Crosshair VII monoblock is total garbage and has horrible CPU contact. DO NOT BUY.

Ha ha ha LOL. I could have told you to avoid any kind of monoblock. They are all garbage. Too much variations in Z height among all the mobo components it has to contact. It is only for gamers/RGB blingers who care not a whit about temps.

Ralph_IT

I'm called Ralph
Apr 12, 2021
/home

Sell the monoblock and collect as much of the investment as you can.
Then buy a Cuplex Kryos NEXT or a HeatKiller IV (either Basic or Pro).
Build the loop.
Enjoy the low temps & silence.
:)

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Ha ha ha LOL. I could have told you to avoid any kind of monoblock. They are all garbage. Too much variations in Z height among all the mobo components it has to contact. It is only for gamers/RGB blingers who care not a whit about temps.
Sell the monoblock and collect as much of the investment as you can.
Then buy a Cuplex Kryos NEXT or a HeatKiller IV (either Basic or Pro).
Build the loop.
Enjoy the low temps & silence.
:)
I can't be arsed right now to drain my loop for a third time, remove the board+monoblock AND spend €80-100 for a new block which I just did for my main system.

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
Don't have to spend that much to get basic cooling. Even this inexpensive combo block would work. This $70 block actually is pretty darn good for either Ryzen or Threadripper/Epyc. Decent amount of full IHS coverage for TR and more than enough for Ryzen. Low restriction and adequate amount of cooling fins in the array. Admittedly not the thinnest fins, certainly not like an Optimus cold plate. But kept my 5950X in the high 70's and my Threadripper 2920X in the low 60's.

CPU Water Block for AMD Ryzen 3 5 7 9 AM4 TR4 Threadripper RAY-MK-M RGB aRGB LED

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
So some idiot at TechN forget to insert a helicoil/thread insert/wtfitscalled into their backplate causing me to spend 2.5 hours of my life (at 1 AM no less) trying to figure out why the **** my block wouldn't fit or my CH7 refused to power on.

I also don't know why I kept getting such atrocious temps on my EKWB monoblock. Oh well, some other retard a future buyer can figure it out himself :^)

Long story short: went to bed after giving up for the night, woke up in the afternoon, reused the original CH7 backplate and all works fine now. The TechN block is AWESOME too! Holy shit, at idle the 2600 basically runs at ambient temperature and overclocked to 4.1 GHz with 1.28V after vDroop it doesn't go above 70C running y-cruncher with all tests enabled.

Last edited:

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
So some idiot at TechN forget to insert a helicoil/thread insert/wtfitscalled into their backplate causing me to spend 2.5 hours of my life (at 1 AM no less) trying to figure out why the **** my block wouldn't fit or my CH7 refused to power on.

I also don't know why I kept getting such atrocious temps on my EKWB monoblock. Oh well, some other retard a future buyer can figure it out himself :^)

Long story short: went to bed after giving up for the night, woke up in the afternoon, reused the original CH7 backplate and all works fine now. The TechN block is AWESOME too! Holy shit, at idle the 2600 basically runs at ambient temperature and overclocked to 4.1 GHz with 1.28V after vDroop it doesn't go above 70C running y-cruncher with all tests enabled.
Happy to hear you are getting such good temps with the TechN block. It looked like it had a decent finstack array. I just didn't care for the looks.
From forum and tech website testing it is supposed to be an equivalent to the Optimus blocks.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
I did get a new backplate under warranty from TechN though, so they'll be getting my money again for a new AM4 block for my main system.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Backplace received, and then my Seasonic Focus Plus Gold PSU decided to off itself. Great. Good thing they've got 10 year warranty so i'm RMAing that shit when weekend's over. Thinking of asking them if I could upgrade to the Focus PX for a fee, it's only €35 more than a new 750W Focus GX.

Or maybe even a FD Ion+ like I have in my main system, those Ultraflex cables are rather nice in a older case like the Define R4.

Last edited: