Wasmachineman's Water Cooling Adventures

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
This ^ This ^ and This^ . Did I mention you should to this ^? A drain valve at the right spot will let you keep your machine upright, and save you both time and the expense of rolls and rolls of extra paper towels.

When I was still running a custom loop, I had both a drain and fill valve. I tend to over engineer and don't like a mess, so I put the fill valve at the high point in the loop so I could fill and "burp" air out easily. I'm by no means an expert, but it worked well for me.

If you really want to learn about custom loops by doing though, I suggest you set up a loop for one of those Precisions. Think of the challenge of fitting a block on a mobile CPU and an MXM card! ;)
I don't have any Precisions with MXM. Water cooling one is definitely in the pipeline though, as soon as I can find a Zalman Reserator XT and mod the living shit out of it to make it more reliable and perform better.

A voltmodded 940XM with a Reserator might hit 4 GHz stable lol

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
I bought a Hardware Labs GTS 240 rad, what screws do I need for my fans and to mount it to my case?
I think you will regret that small radiator if you intend to add your RX480 to the loop unless you intend to add another 240mm to the loop. Depends on what your case will fit.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
I think you will regret that small radiator if you intend to add your RX480 to the loop unless you intend to add another 240mm to the loop. Depends on what your case will fit.
I'll add another Black Ice 240 GTS if I can find one used.

Does anyone know if Aquatuning is legit?

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
Well I haven't dealt with the NL branch yet, but the German branch has always shipped my stuff in next to no time on multiple occasions

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Well I haven't dealt with the NL branch yet, but the German branch has always shipped my stuff in next to no time on multiple occasions
Their Dutch branch is identical to the German branch so idk. I'll place an order at the end of the month.

Ralph_IT

I'm called Ralph
Apr 12, 2021
/home
I've had a bad experience with aquatunig on a very expensive order. Even had to fill a Paypal dispute to get my money back.
Tried High Flow just to check how they work and now they're my #1 eshop for watercooling components.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
I've had a bad experience with aquatunig on a very expensive order. Even had to fill a Paypal dispute to get my money back.
Tried High Flow just to check how they work and now they're my #1 eshop for watercooling components.
HF doesn't have most of the stuff I need or want. What other sites are out there within the EU besides HF, Aquatuning and Freezing Hardware?

Last edited:

Ralph_IT

I'm called Ralph
Apr 12, 2021
/home
Almost all of my watercooling stuff was bought at HF.
Other shops I used: Aquacomputer official (Aquaero stuff), WaterCool official (Reservoir, adapters, tubbing), Amazon (GPU Block), eBay (Clamps) & FormulaMod (fittings).

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Received my radiator. No screws though, and I can't seem to find black M4x5mm screws anywhere.

schmookeeg

Mar 25, 2016
Alameda, CA
www.msxpert.com
Because my main system is mission critical, if it breaks all hell breaks loose here at home. Long story about that one.

So i'll be building a loop in my old system to practice first. I also have a waterblock for my RX480 so when GPU prices become sane (lol never!) i'll move it to my old system and WB it too.
I am currently using a custom looped rig for my daily workstation. I think watercooling is fun and the EK stuff I bought has been running fine now in its third year. It was an extravagant way to turn a 3K build into a $3500 one :)

If I was building a mission-critical anything, I would air-cool it. Watercooling adds a number of single points of failure, whereas you can festoon a tower with fans and heatsinks all day long and the thing will soldier onward reliably. "Reliable" and "uses a new and cool tech" are usually at opposite ends of a tech/hardware decision for me.

$0.02

- Mike

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
I am currently using a custom looped rig for my daily workstation. I think watercooling is fun and the EK stuff I bought has been running fine now in its third year. It was an extravagant way to turn a 3K build into a $3500 one :)

If I was building a mission-critical anything, I would air-cool it. Watercooling adds a number of single points of failure, whereas you can festoon a tower with fans and heatsinks all day long and the thing will soldier onward reliably. "Reliable" and "uses a new and cool tech" are usually at opposite ends of a tech/hardware decision for me.

$0.02

- Mike
Mission Critical is only relative, it's just that I can't stand things not working.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Bought a EK-FB-C6H Acetal as it was in stock. Now to get hoses, fittings, coolant, a pump+reservoir and fans.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Monoblock received at last.

How's this? As much that I hate highflow.nl they are basically the only shop in NL that has everything I need.

lihp

Jan 2, 2021
Monoblock received at last.

How's this? As much that I hate highflow.nl they are basically the only shop in NL that has everything I need.
Sorry didnt read through the whole thread, but I dont see fans for the radiator?