Wasmachineman's Water Cooling Adventures

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
Great, Caseking had Koolance QD3s in stock. Ordered those, a fan grille for my MoRA3 and a extra fill bottle so I don't cross-contaminate my loops. (different coolants in the bench rig and main rig)

Oh and earlier today I bought a 5700 XT Nitro+ with a waterblock. RDNA1 HARDWARE BUGS WOOOOOOOO

Last edited:
Reactions: CyklonDX

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Fan grille installed. Rad looks 200% better with a grille tbh.

Should be receiving my 5700 XT tomorrow.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
5700 XT received. Wow, i'm surprised how much faster it is compared to the Vega FE. Really shows how garbage GCN is for gaming tasks.

Also scales like ass with voltage :( stupid thing scales worse than the R9 Fury X.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
5700 XT received. Wow, i'm surprised how much faster it is compared to the Vega FE. Really shows how garbage GCN is for gaming tasks.

Also scales like ass with voltage :( stupid thing scales worse than the R9 Fury X.
5700 has really nice feature for integer upscaling. As i recall it hasn't been brought to any other generation.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
5700 has really nice feature for integer upscaling. As i recall it hasn't been brought to any other generation.
Hah, the only thing I care about is FPS. Thus far, the 5700 XT curbstomps the Vega FE, even with it running at ~1.7 GHz.

Next step: trying to find a sanely priced Radeon VII.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
my exp with radeon vii - could get it up-to 2.2GHz (without mem oc)
Produced decent fps (close to 2080)

but was far behind in fps in certain games like cyberpunk vs 6800; it had kinda bugged hdr 10bit support - tho produced far better colors, i think radeon vii is best card for viewing movies. When comparing fluidity between 2080 in cyberpunk i couldn't shake off the feeling it was producing more fps than it was reporting.

I recommend looking up fsr3 mod (you can take some of those older cards from both amd and nv to new heights)
(on 7900xtx i was getting 280fps on max details without fsr with built in frame-gen on new horizon game)

I also recommend using custom amd drivers from here

or direct link (latest)

Those drivers allow you to enable all kind of locked features (not all - but some)
Those drivers also give optimizations to pre-gcn amd/ati cards (terascale)

(drivers used to be called amernime / nimez)

Last edited:

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Well since Aquatuning had a 20% off Alphacool products sale, I bought their 6900 XT Toxic block. Hope it'll perform better than the pretty meh Bykski block I have.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
God damn it. Just as I expected: the block performs even worse, and I found out why: the die of my 6900 XT is extremely uneven.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
you can try graphite thermal pad (no the thin ones, but thick ones)
PTM7950 on the Bykski block works just fine, I'll just accept the fact my card's ****ed.

In other news, PPCS had two Heatkiller R9 Fury X blocks in stock which I ordered. Bare copper but meh, $80 for both? sure.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
You can try V100 also HBM card. (i don't recommend P100 as there's no models with blower - unless you do watercooling)
But P100 has much better packaging than vega/fury cards (quite surprising - my p100 only has 2'C difference between hbm, tjmax and core)

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
You can try V100 also HBM card. (i don't recommend P100 as there's no models with blower - unless you do watercooling)
But P100 has much better packaging than vega/fury cards (quite surprising - my p100 only has 2'C difference between hbm, tjmax and core)
Nvidia HBM cards still go for retarded money because of AI workloads unfortunately.